Theory building in educational research
- Nigel Kettley.
- London ; New York : Continuum, c2010.
- Physical description
- xiii, 210 p. : ill. ; 25 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LB1028 .K46 2010||Unknown|
- Kettley, Nigel C.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. -204) and index.
- List of Tables and Figures-- Glossary-- Preface-- Part I: Introduction: Crisis and Corrections-- 1. The Crisis of Theory Building and Theory in Educational Research-- 2. Towards Powerful and Productive Theory Building and Theory-- Part II: The Interface of Theory and Method-- 3. Paradigm War: Philosophies, methodologies and theory building-- 4. Making Sense Together? An alternative model of theory building-- Part III: Educational Theory Building in Practice-- 5. The Practical Foundations of Theory Building-- 6. Interpretation and Imagination: Developing theoretical frameworks-- Part IV: Conclusion: Prospects and Promises-- 7. Theory, Social Explanation and Educational Policy-- 8. Promoting Change: The Promise and Pitfalls of Theory Building-- References-- Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9781847062086 20160604
- Publisher's Summary
- This volume provides comprehensive guidance on the subjects of concept generation and theory building in educational research. By deploying the conceptual, methodological and theoretical principles of the Cambridge School of Sociology, that underpin a range of contemporary empirical research, the author shows how theory building, and theory, in contemporary educational research is in a state of crisis. In his compelling analysis, Nigel Kettley develops an alternative approach to theory building in educational research, and explores a radical new system for facilitating the growth of knowledge and the development of sound policy recommendations in education studies.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781847062086 20160604
- Publication date
- 9781847062086 (hardback)
- 1847062083 (hardback)
Browse related items
Start at call number: