Girls' secondary education in the Western World : from the 18th to the 20th century
- edited by James C. Albisetti, Joyce Goodman, and Rebecca Rogers.
- 1st ed.
- New York : Palgrave Macmillan, 2010.
- Physical description
- xii, 223 p. : ill. ; 25 cm.
- Secondary education in a changing world.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. -211) and index.
- Introduction: Girls' Secondary Education in the Western World: An Historical Introduction-- J.C.Albisetti, J.Goodman& R.Rogers Class and Religion: Great Britain and Ireland-- J.Goodman Culture and Catholicism: France-- R.Rogers The Influence of Confession and State: Germany and Austria-- J.Jacobi Chequered Routes to Secondary Education: Italy-- S.Soldani Between Modernization and Conservatism: Spain-- C.Flecha Toward the Recognition of their Educational Rights: Portugal-- H.C.Araujo, C.Rocha& L.Fonseca Champion in Coeducation: the Netherlands-- M.Van Essen& H.Amsing Politics and Anti-clericalism: Belgium-- E.Gubin Lutheranism and Democracy: Scandinavia-- A.Linne Nation-building, Patriotism and Women's Citizenship: Bulgaria in South Eastern Europe-- K.Daskalova From an Exclusive Privilege to a Right and an Obligation: Modern Russia-- E.T.Ewing Europeans and the American Model of Girls' Secondary Education-- J.C.Albisetti Crossing Borders in Girls' Secondary Education-- J.Goodman& R.Rogers.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780230619463 20160604
- Publisher's Summary
- The collection's focus on girls' secondary education, and hence the gendered cultural expectations of the middle classes and upper classes, will provide the dominant narrative, given the relatively recent democratization of European educational systems. The wealth of sources concerning secondary education, compared with primary education, in addition to the dearth of comparative analysis, justifies renewed focus on this level of education.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780230619463 20160604
- Publication date
- Secondary education in a changing world
- 9780230619463 (hbk.)
- 0230619460 (hbk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: