Multicultural education : issues and perspectives
- edited by James A. Banks, Cherry A. McGee Banks.
- 7th ed.
- Hoboken, N.J. : Wiley, c2010.
- Physical description
- xiv, 462 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- "Multicultural resources": p. 439-443.
- Part I. Issues and Concepts 1 Chapter 1. Multicultural Education: Characteristics and Goals 3 Chapter 2. Culture is Society and in Educational Practices 31 Chapter 3. Race, Class, Gender, and Disability in the Classroom 61 Part II. Social Class and Religion 85 Chapter 4. Social Class and Educational Equality 87 Chapter 5. Christian Nation or Pluralistic Culture: Religion in American Life 110 Part III. Gender 133 Chapter 6. Gender Bias: From Colonial America to Today's Classrooms 135 Chapter 7. Classrooms for Diversity: Rethinking Curriculum and Pedagogy 164 Chapter 8. Transforming the Curriculum: Teaching about Women of Color 186 Part IV. Race, Ethnicity, and Language 209 Chapter 9. Educational Equality for Students of Color 211 Chapter 10. Approaches to Multicultural Curriculum Reform 242 Chapter 11. The Colorblind Perspectives in School: Causes and Consequences 265 Chapter 12. Language Diversity and Education 289 Part V. Exceptionality 315 Chapter 13. Educational Equality for Students with Disabilities 317 Chapter 14. School Inclusion and Multicultural Issues in Special Education 350 Chapter 15. Recruiting and Retaining Gifted Students from Diverse Ethnic, Cultural, and Language Groups 379 Part VI. School Reform 399 Chapter 16. School Reform and Student Learning: A Multicultural Perspective 401 Chapter 17. Families and Teachers Working Together for School Improvement 421 Appendix: Multicultural Resources 443 Index 457.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780470483282 20160604
- Publisher's Summary
- Multicultural Education is a reader for educators that consists of articles written by the top scholars in the field. It helps them understand the concepts, paradigms, and explanations needed to become more effective practitioners in culturally, racially and language diverse classrooms. Each chapter now incorporates new theoretical, conceptual, and research developments in the field. A new chapter focuses on gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender issues. Every statistical table, figure, and chart has also been updated to present the most current information. Educators will gain insight that they'll be able to apply in the classroom.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780470483282 20160604
- Supplemental links
- Table of contents
- Publication date
- 9780470483282 (pbk.)
- 0470483288 (pbk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: