In a class of your own : essential strategies for the new K-6 teacher
- Samkoff, Rhoda M.
- Thousand Oaks, Calif. : Corwin, c2010.
- Physical description
- xi, 67 p. : ill. ; 23 cm.
LB1555 .S16 2010
- Unknown LB1555 .S16 2010
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 63-64) and index.
- Preface Acknowledgments About the Author Introduction 1. Preparing You Are Not Alone Taking Care of Yourself Before Taking Care of Others Keeping Your Sense of Humor Defining Your Role as Teacher Work Relationships Community Connections 2. Anticipating Strategies for Preventing Common Mistakes Frequently Asked Questions 3. Organizing Efficient Storage and Retrieval Systems Purposeful Projects Using Teaching Space Wisely Health and Safety First 4. Managing Keys to Managing Groups Exercise and Productivity Planning Handling Paperwork Behavior Issues and Disciplinary Options 5. Communicating Miscommunication Happens Meeting the Parents The Parent Conference 6. Instructing Formulating Clear Objectives and a Plan Differentiating Instruction Review, Review, Review? Motivating ?Take Out Your Homework? 7. Observing and Being Observed Be Yourself? and Be Prepared Learning by Observing 8. Respecting Providing for Differences and Disabilities Cultural Diversity and Your English Language Learners Teaching Values 9. Reflecting Self-Assessment: A Sign of Professional Growth References and Additional Resources Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Rhoda Samkoff simplifies the process of becoming acclimatised to the teaching profession by addressing concerns that new teachers often have and offering strategies for dealing with the most challenging - and most common - new teacher situations. This handbook is like having a mentor in the classroom next door. Using a blend of examples from real classrooms and advice from experienced teachers, this easy-to-read book provides information on a wide range of topics, such as strategies for planning effective lessons, communicating with parents, and dealing with specific student behaviours. Each chapter includes: TIPS, or Theory-Into-Practice Strategies that provide workable strategies for teachers; anecdotes from actual classroom situations; time-saving reproducible 'start-up' materials such as forms, rubrics, and checklists; and, frequently asked questions that address the concerns of new teachers.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Rhoda M. Samkoff.
- 9781412986670 (paperback : alk. paper)
- 1412986672 (paperback : alk. paper)