Teaching diverse learners : principles for best practice
- Amy J. Mazur, Patricia Rice Doran.
- Thousand Oaks, Calif. : Corwin, c2010.
- Physical description
- vii, 190 p. : ill. ; 28 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
LC1201 .M375 2010
- Unknown LC1201 .M375 2010
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 178-183) and index.
- Acknowledgments About the Authors Introduction 1. Who Are Our Diverse Learners? New Definitions, New Responses 2. The Impact of the Law: Policies and Diversity 3. What a Difference a Room Makes: Classroom Setup and Management for Learning 4. Really Seeing Your Students: The Importance of Behavioral Observation 5. Mental Wellness and Students' Resiliency: Making School an Emotionally Safe Place 6. Curriculum and Language: Making Texts and Materials Accessible 7. Literacy Development: Factors Impacting Diverse Learners 8. Assessment: How Do You Know What Your Students Know? 9. Collaboration: Working Together for Student Success 10. Family Involvement: Forming Rich and Lasting Partnerships References Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- This book provides an easily accessible, user-friendly guide to issues of cultural and linguistic diversity, particularly as they impact the identification, instruction, and assessment of students with special education needs. The authors present practical explanations of important concepts, strategies, and case studies, making information accessible to busy primary and secondary teachers while also drawing on current research. This book includes: - Ready-to-use activities for observation, assessment, and/or planning - Flow charts, tables, and bulleted lists to make key concepts accessible - Guiding questions at the beginning of each chapter to provide teachers with concrete ways to begin reflecting on, and implementing, culturally responsive teaching practices for students within their school communities - A list of key concepts at the beginning and a glossary at the end of the book for easy access to core terms and concepts.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- 9781412974981 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 1412974984 (pbk. : alk. paper)