The dissertation journey : a practical and comprehensive guide to planning, writing, and defending your dissertation
- Carol M. Roberts.
- 2nd ed.
- Thousand Oaks, Calif. : Corwin, c2010.
- Physical description
- xviii, 229 p. : ill. ; 26 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LB1742 .R63 2010||Unknown|
- Roberts, Carol M.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 217-220) and index.
- Foreword by Kenneth R. Stevenson Preface to the Second Edition Preface A Note to Doctoral Candidates Acknowledgments About the Author Part I: Quests and Questions 1. Do You Have What It Takes? Why Take This Journey? Do You Have What It Takes to Journey to the Peak? Avoiding the Hazards of High Altitude Climing Procrastination Emotional Barriers Writer's Block What are the Inner Essentials? Summary 2. What Exactly Is a Dissertation? What Is a Doctoral Dissertation? Typical Dissertation Structure Studies Using Quantitative Methodology Sample Format Studies Using Qualitative Methodology Sample Format Alternative Formats Components of a Typical Dissertation Major Steps in the Dissertation Process Roles and Responsibilities Summary 3. What are Ethical Considerations in Research? Rights of Human Subjects Ethical Considerations in Data Collection Ethical Issues in Data Analysis and Interpretation Ethical Issues in Reporting Research Findings Ethics of Writing Up Research Other Ethical Considerations Summary Part II: Preparing for the Climb 4. Choosing a Dissertation Topic Approaches to Choosing a Topic Where to Look for Potential Topics Some Criteria for Topic Selection Replication Studies Replication Studies Do's and Don'ts Summary 5. Creating Your Dissertation Team Peak Principle: Always Climb Fully Equipped Selecting a Dissertation Advisor Selecting the Committee The Care and Nurture of Advisors and Committee Members How to Approach a Potential Advisor What If No One Agrees to Be Your Advisor? Choosing Outfitters and Bearers (Other Specialized Consultants) Where to Locate Specialists Summary 6. Dissertation Support Groups Critical Decisions Strategies and Structures of Successful Support Groups Other Considerations Summary 7. Organizing Yourself Organize Your Workspace Organize Your Time Working Smart Maintain Balance Strategies for Getting a Life While Dissertating Summary PART III: BEGINNING THE CLIMB 8. Using the Internet and Technology to Conduct Research Conducting Literature Searches Online Help Helpful Technology Collecting and Analyzing Data Communicating Via the Internet Using Your Library's Electronic Search Capability Using Your Instructional Technology Center Additional Online Resources Tips to Keep You Sane and Productive Summary 9. Reviewing the Literature Purpose and Scope Preparation Steps in Conducting a Literature Review Techniques for Writing the Literature Review Advice on Writing a Literature Review Literature Review Checklist Summary 10. Mastering the Academic Style Qualities of Scholarly Writing Common Writing Problems Tips for Good Writing Further Reading Helpful Web Sites Summary PART IV: Climbing to Base Camp 11. Writing the Introduction Chapter Problem Statement Theoretical or Conceptual Framework Purpose Statement Research Questions/Hypotheses Significance of the Study Delimitations Assumptions Definition of Terms Organization of the Study Summary 12. Selecting and Describing the Methodology Selecting the Methodology Describing the Methodology Summary 13. Holding the Proposal Meeting Before the Meeting During the Meeting After the Meeting Summary PART V: FINAL PREPARATIONS FOR THE PEAK 14. Analyzing and Presenting the Results Understanding the Data Writing the Introductory Paragraph Tables and the Narrative Description Presenting the Findings Further Reading Summary 15. Summarizing and Discussing the Results Reflect on Findings Chapter Organization Questions to Ask About Summarizing and Discussing the Findings Summary PART VI: FINAL ASCENT AND VIEW FROM THE TOP & BEYOND 16. The Oral Defense: D-Day A Defense Scenario Helpful Hints: Prior to the Oral Defense During the Oral Defense After the Oral Defense Summary 17. The Next Peak The Descent Letting Down Mount Analogue Helping Others Mentoring Disseminating Your Study's Findings Summary Parting Thoughts Appendices References Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9781412977975 20160604
- Publisher's Summary
- A doctorate in education has become a requirement in many states to become a district-level administrator. However, the process of obtaining a doctorate is a difficult proposition for educational administrators already working full time. In fact, one-half of all doctorate students go ABD (all but dissertation) and never receive their PhD. Carol Roberts helps remedy this problem with "The Dissertation Journey: A Practical and Comprehensive Guide to Planning, Writing, and Defending Your Dissertation". This is not a technical manual to help doctoral students through the minutiae of conducting in-depth qualitative or quantitative research. Instead, this how-to manual focuses on the practical aspects of writing and organizing a dissertation, in particular the psychological and social hurdles that are involved. Roberts uses a conversational and encouraging tone, along with plenty of graphics, quotes, illustrations, and sample forms to guide doctoral students through the process of preparing, writing, and defending their dissertations. This new edition includes new chapters on ethical considerations, as well as significantly updated and expanded coverage of using the Internet and technology to conduct research. The book features: checklists, organizing graphics, an in-depth list of resources for further inquiry, quotations, illustrations, and other user-friendly elements. It offers easily accessible, practical advice administered in small bites.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781412977975 20160604
- The dissertation is a tough mountain to climb; half of all doctoral students never make it to the top. To overcome the practical, emotional, and psychological obstacles along the way, you'll need the right tools and a knowledgeable guide. This informative and inspirational book readies you for each step of the dissertation process, including choosing a topic, selecting the committee, getting acclimated to academic writing, preparing for your oral defense, and publishing your research. This second edition of "The Dissertation Journey" offers new and updated features, including: a chapter on ethical considerations; expanded coverage of digital data collection and using the Internet for research; more detailed information on conducting the literature review; and, a discussion of how to develop a theoretical or conceptual framework. With graphics, checklists, inspirational quotes, illustrations, and sample forms, this valuable resource is your essential guidebook to preparing, writing, and defending your dissertation.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781412977982 20160604
- Publication date
- 9781412977982 (pbk.)
- 1412977983 (pbk.)
- 9781412977975 (cloth)
- 1412977975 (cloth)
Acquired with support from
Browse related items
Start at call number: