Teaching visual literacy in the primary classroom : comic books, film, television and picture narratives
- Tim Stafford.
- London ; New York : Routledge, 2011.
- Physical description
- ix, 182 p. : ill. ; 25 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LB1523 .S72 2011||Unknown|
- Stafford, Tim, 1976-
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 169-178) and index.
- Introduction 1.1. Reading Visuals 1.2. Reading Visuals: Teaching Ideas 1.3. Reading Visuals: Further Ideas and Resources 2.1. Picture Books 2.2. Picture Books: Teaching Ideas 2.3. Picture Books: Further Ideas and Resources 3.1. Comic Books 3.2. Comic Books: Teaching Ideas 3.3. Comic Books: Further Ideas and Resources 4.1. Film 4.2. Film: Teaching Ideas 4.3. Film: Further Ideas and Resources 5.1. Genre 5.2. Genre: Teaching Ideas 5.3. Genre: Further Ideas and Resources 6.1. Adaptation 6.2. Adaptation: Teaching Ideas 6.3. Adaptation: Further Ideas and Resources Glossary Bibliography.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780415489850 20160604
- Publisher's Summary
- Teaching Visual Literacy in the Primary Classroom shows how everyday literacy sessions can be made more exciting, dynamic and effective by using a wide range of media and visual texts in the primary classroom. In addition to a wealth of practical teaching ideas, the book outlines the vital importance of visual texts and shows how children can enjoy developing essential literacy skills through studying picture books, film, television and comic books. Designed to take into account the renewed Framework for Literacy, each chapter offers a complete guide to teaching this required area of literacy. Aimed at those who want to deliver high quality and stimulating literacy sessions, each chapter contains a range of detailed practical activities and resources which can be easily implemented into existing literacy teaching with minimal preparation. In addition, each chapter gives clear, informative yet accessible insights into the theory behind visual literacy. Containing a wealth of activities, ideas and resources for teachers of both Key Stage 1 and Key Stage 2, this book discusses how children's literacy skills can be developed and enhanced through exploring a range of innovative texts. Six chapters provide comprehensive guides to the teaching of the following media and literacy skills: picture books film and television comic books visual literacy skills genre adaptation. Teaching Visual Literacy in the Primary Classroom is an essential resource for all those who wish to find fresh and contemporary ways to teach literacy and will be useful not only to novices but also to teachers who already have experience of teaching a range of media. Students, primary school teachers, literacy co-ordinators and anyone who is passionate about giving pupils a relevant and up-to-date education will be provided with everything they need to know about teaching this new and ever-expanding area of literacy.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780415489850 20160604
- Publication date
- "A David Fulton Book"--Cover.
- 9780415489850 (pbk.)
- 0415489857 (pbk.)
- 9780415489843 (hbk)
- 0415489849 (hbk)
- 9780203846797 (ebk)
- 0203846796 (ebk)
Browse related items
Start at call number: