Evaluating the effectiveness of academic development : principles and practice
- New York : Routledge, 2011.
- Physical description
- xii, 242 p. : ill. ; 23 cm.
LC1099 .E87 2011
- Unknown LC1099 .E87 2011
- Stefani, Lorraine, 1953-
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- 1. Evaluating the effectiveness of academic development: an overview, Lorraine Stefani 2. Locating Academic Development: the first step in evaluation, Shelda Debowski 3. The Quality Agenda: where does academic development sit? George Gordon 4. Demonstrating Fitness for Purpose: phronesis and authenticity as overarching purposes, Carolin Kreber 5. Using Student Survey Data to Shape Priorities and Approaches, Kerri-Lee Krause 6. Innovation and Change: responding to a digital environment, Cathy Gunn Case Study 1. Whaia te pae tawhiti: Maori Academic Development at the University of Auckland, Matiu Ratima Case Study 2. Academic Partnership: peer mentoring with early-career academics, Barbara Kensington-Miller Case Study 3. Tending the Secret Garden: evaluating a doctoral skills program, Frances Kelly, Ian Brailsford and Susan Carter Case Study 4. Evaluation as Bricolage: cobbling together a strategy for appraising supervision development, Barbara Grant Case Study 5. Archiving for the Future: a longitudinal approach to evaluating a postgraduate certificate program, Helen Sword Case Study 6. Tracking the Invisible: an elearning group's approach to evaluation, Cathy Gunn and Claire Donald Case Study 7. Continuous Improvement Projects: whose evaluation matters? Lorraine Stefani Case Study 8. Leadership Programs: evaluation as a way forward, Linda McLain 7. Accrediation, Accountability and Assessment: addressing multiple agendas, Claudia Stanny and Jane Halonen 8. An Institutional Program: a national model for evaluation? Roni Bamber 9. Evaluation matters in a national, funded academic development project, Kogi Nadoo and Alison Holmes 10. Impact Evaluation and its Implications, Kathleen Gray and Alex Radloff Endnote, Lorraine Stefani.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- How can Academic Developers provide evidence of the effectiveness and 'added value' of their work to the key stakeholders within their institutions? Written for Academic Developers, academic administrators and others responsible for promoting organizational change, Evaluating the Effectiveness of Academic Development is a professional guide that shares best practice advice and provides developers with useful frameworks for effective evaluation and monitoring of their work. Through case studies and up-to-date examples from experts in the field, this collection explores the nuances of evaluative practice and the tensions inherent in claiming a causal link between academic development and organizational transformation. As higher education institutions continue to seek effective ways to determine the impact of academic development on organizational transformation in general and student learning in particular, Evaluating the Effectiveness of Academic Development is sure to be an invaluable resource.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- edited by Lorraine Stefani.
- 9780415872072 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 0415872073 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 9780415872065 (hbk. : alk. paper)
- 0415872065 (hbk. : alk. paper)
- 9780203847930 (ebk.)
- 0203847938 (ebk.)