Giving wings to children's dreams : making our schools worthy of our children
- Paul D. Houston ; foreword by Terrence E. Deal.
- Thousand Oaks, Calif. : Corwin ; [Arlington, Va.] : American Association of School Administrators, c2010.
- Physical description
- xii, 162 p. ; 23 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LB2822.82 .H68 2010||Unknown|
- Houston, Paul D.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 161-162).
- About the Author Acknowledgments Opening Thoughts Dedication Foreword by Terrence E. Deal Introduction 1. My Wings 2. Teachers: Magicians and Conductors 3. Attitude=Altitude 4. Leaning Our Ladder Against the Right Wall 5. Crawling Out of the Box 6. How It Ought to Be 7. Getting Kids Ready for Democracy 8. Getting Kids Ready for School-Raising the Village 9. Getting Schools Ready for Kids 10. Getting the Words and Symbols Right 11. Horse Whispering: Harnessing Technology to Enhance Learning 12. The Brain is a Terrible Thing to Waste 13. Creativity and the Arts: The Surry, Not the Fringe 14. Authentic Accountability 15. Lead Is Not a Four Letter Word 16. Bored of Education 17. Dealing with the Heart and Soul 18. A School Worthy of Our Children-A Fable Appendix/Study Guide Reading List.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- In this powerful collection, the former executive director of the American Association of School Administrators looks at the factors educators must consider in order to turn schools back into places that nurture children. There are basic truths about what motivates people, Paul D. Houston argues, and educators must embed these truths in the educational process. In this book, educators will find inspiration and guidance through: eighteen beautifully written, thought-provoking essays on how we can transform our schools; chapter-by-chapter questions to inspire reflection, discussion, and professional development; and, a broad range of topics spanning from the magic of learning to global education to the perils of accountability. Houston's words will resonate with anyone committed to improving schools, and will help educators examine their own beliefs, develop a common vision, and enact reform.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- School improvement programs.
- Publication date
- 9781412980357 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 1412980356 (pbk. : alk. paper)
Acquired with support from
Browse related items
Start at call number: