Constructing inequality in multilingual classrooms
- by Luisa Martín Rojo ; with contributions by Adriana Patiño-Santos ... [et al.].
- Berlin ; New York : De Gruyter Mouton, c2010.
- Physical description
- viii, 422 p. : ill., map ; 24 cm.
- Language, power, and social process ; 27.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LC3736 .S72 M338 2010||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references (p. -418) and index.
- Journey around our classrooms
- Educating in multilingual and multicultural schools in Madrid
- Critical sociolinguistic ethnography in schools
- The classrooms of Madrid : shaping a new multicultural map / Adriana Patiño-Santos
- Compensatory logic in the construction of knowledge
- Constructing the "good" and "deficit" student through norms and assessment / Esther Alcalá and Luisa Martín Rojo
- Managing linguistic diversity in a traditionally monolingual area
- Who is a "legitimate participant" in multilingual classrooms? Essentialising and naturalising culture / Luisa Martín Rojo, Ana María Relaño Pastor and Irina Rasskin Gutman
- Discipline and resistance in multilingual classrooms in Madrid
- Facing inequality.
- Publisher's Summary
- In this book, the reader is taken on a fascinating journey through some of Madrid's multilingual and multicultural schools, revealing the role of linguistic practices in constructing inequality and educational failure. The exciting discussion of these issues is particularly important in a globalized world where, on a daily basis, children enter multilingual and multicultural schoolsin whichthey face unknown educational practices and languages.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9783110226645 20160604
- Publication date
- Language, power and social process, 1861-4175 ; 27
- 9783110226638 (cloth)
- 3110226634 (cloth)
- 9783110226645 (ebook)
- 3110226642 (ebook)
Browse related items
Start at call number: