A history of women photographers
- Naomi Rosenblum.
- 3rd ed.
- New York : Abbeville Press Publishers, 2010.
- Physical description
- 432 p. : ill. (some col.) ; 30 cm.
- Rosenblum, Naomi.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 385-418) and index.
- Contents Introduction Why Women? Chapter 1 At the Beginning, 1839--90 Chapter 2 Not Just for Fun: Women Become Professionals, 1880--1915 Chapter 3 Portraiture, 1890--1915 Chapter 4 Art and Recreation: Pleasures of the Amateur, 1890--1920 Chapter 5 Photography Between the Wars: Europe, 1920--40 Chapter 6 Photography Between the Wars: North America, 1920--40 Chapter 7 Photography as Information, 1940--2000 Chapter 8 The Feminist Vision, 1970--95 Chapter 9 Photography as Art, 1940--2000 AFTERWORD ACKNOWLEDGMENTS NOTES Biographies Jain Kelly Selected Bibliography Peter E. Palmquist Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Women have had a special relationship with the camera since the advent of photographic technology in the mid-nineteenth century. Photographers celebrated women as their subjects, from intimate family portraits and fashion spreads to artistic photography and nude studies, including Man Ray's Violon d'Ingres. Lesser known-- and lesser studied-- is the history of women photographers, who continue to make invaluable contributions to this flourishing art form. Featuring more than 300 illustrations, A History of Women Photographers is the only comprehensive survey of women photographers from the age of the daguerreotype to the present day. In this edition, author Naomi Rosenblum expands the book's coverage to include additional photographers and fourteen new images. The text and the appendix of photographer biographies have been revised throughout, and Rosenblum also provides a new afterword, in which she evaluates the influence of rapidly changing digital technology on the field of photography and the standing of women photographers in the twenty-first century.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- 9780789209986 (hbk. : alk. paper)
- 0789209985 (hbk. : alk. paper)