The interactional organization of academic talk : office hour consultations
- Holger Limberg.
- Amsterdam ; Philadelphia : J. Benjamins Pub. Co., c2010.
- Physical description
- xiii, 397 p. ; 25 cm.
- Pragmatics & beyond new ser., 198.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LB1034 .L56 2010||Unknown|
- Limberg, Holger.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- 1. List of tables, pxi-- 2. List of figures, pxi-- 3. Transcript notations, pxii-xiii-- 4. Acknowledgments, pxiv-- 5. Chapter 1. Introduction, p1-14-- 6. Chapter 2. Office hours in a theoretical context: Organization and institutional foundation, p15-58-- 7. Chapter 3. Methodological framework and research design, p59-82-- 8. Chapter 4. Office hour openings, p83-136-- 9. Chapter 5. The agenda: Co-constructing the academic concern, p137-192-- 10. Chapter 6. The body of the consultation, p193-236-- 11. Chapter 7. Advice-giving in office hours, p237-300-- 12. Chapter 8. Closing the consultation, p301-342-- 13. Chapter 9. Conclusion, p343-366-- 14. References, p367-384-- 15. Appendix. Sample transcript, p385-394-- 16. Index, p395-397.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9789027256027 20160604
- Publisher's Summary
- This book provides interesting and critical insights into a common university practice, the academic office hour. Office hours are a discursive site for a variety of different issues, ranging from administrative matters to course-related and study-related concerns. The study offers both an ethnographic account of this speech event within the socio-cultural context of a German university as well as a more detailed analysis of the interactional organization of academic consultations. It draws on natural recordings of entire office hour interactions in order to show how participants' actions at different stages of the talk organize and accomplish the consultation. The analytical focus is set on the sequential activities teachers and students engage in as they conduct a consultation. This includes, for instance, how participants open an office hour talk, how they establish an agenda, how they manage advice-giving, and how they close the consultation. As such, this book will be of practical use to students and faculty members as well as scholars from different disciplines who work in the areas of institutional talk and talk-in-interaction.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9789027256027 20160604
- Publication date
- Pragmatics & beyond new series, 0922-842X ; v. 198
- 9789027256027 (hb : alk. paper)
- 9027256020 (hb : alk. paper)
- 9789027287854 (eb : alk. paper)
- 9027287856 (eb : alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: