1939 : the year that changed everything in Lithuania's history
- Šarūnas Liekis.
- Amsterdam ; New York : Rodopi, 2010.
- Physical description
- xiii, 386 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
- On the boundary of two worlds 20.
- Liekis, Šarūnas, 1969-
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 373-381) and index.
- Publisher's Summary
- "This gripping and well-documented account of the history of the town of Vilnius and its surrounding region from the Polish ultimatum of March 1938, which forced Lithuania to open diplomatic relations with Poland, to the incorporation of Lithuania into the Soviet Union in June 1940 is set against the evolution of Lithuania's relations with her neighbours during this crucial period. It is a major contribution to the outbreak of war in September 1939 and the subsequent evolution of Nazi Soviet relations." Antony Polonsky, Brandeis University and the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum "In this volume on Vilnius during 1939-1940, Prof. Liekis presents a remarkable history based on archival sources never before utilized in any English-language study. In revealing the geopolitical, ideological, economic, social and ethnic dimensions of an immense tragedy in the heart of Europe, the author provides a new perspective on the unraveling of a society and nation during the initial days of World War II as prelude to the most violent period in European history." Saulius Suziedelis, Professor Emeritus, Millersville University "Sarunas Liekis, who is well versed both in Baltic and in Jewish history, has produced a masterful study of an important subject. Liekis tackles controversial topics, makes sophisticated use of documentary materials, and reaches thoughtful and original conclusions. This is an impressive book." Jack Jacobs, The City University of New York.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- On the boundary of two worlds : identity, freedom and moral imagination in the Baltics ; 20
- 9789042027626 (hbk. : alk. paper)
- 9042027622 (hbk. : alk. paper)
- 9789042027633 (e-book)
- 9042027630 (e-book)
Browse related items
Start at call number: