Leading school turnaround : how successful leaders transform low-performing schools
- Kenneth Leithwood, Alma Harris, Tiiu Strauss.
- 1st ed.
- San Francisco, CA : Jossey-Bass, c2010.
- Physical description
- ix, 293 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
LB2822.8 .L45 2010
- Unknown LB2822.8 .L45 2010
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 271-281) and index.
- 1. Starting Points for Understanding Turnaround Leadership. The Dynamic Context in Which Turnaround Leaders Work. 2. Reasons for School Failure. 3. A Staged Conception of School Turnaround Processes. 4. The Stages Illustrated: Rowlatt's Hill Primary School. What Turnaround Leaders Do and How They Do It. 5. How Turnaround Leaders Create a Shared Sense of Direction in Their Schools. 6. How Turnaround Leaders Foster Capacity Development Among Their Teachers. 7. How Turnaround Leaders Redesign Their School Organisations. 8. How Turnaround Leaders Manage Improvements in Their School's Instructional Programme. 9. Turnaround Leadership Up Close and Personal. Outstanding Challenges. 10. Sustaining Performance: Achieving Satisfactory Performance and Aspiring to Much More. 11. Creating the Conditions for Stronger Relationships between Leadership and Student Learning. Appendix A: Methods Used For the Ontario Study. Appendix B: Methods Used For the UK Study.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- A recent study estimates that the number of schools who miss the AYP mark will more than double to 5,000 schools in 2009-2010. Applying the turnaround processes successfully used in the corporate world to the education market, Leading School Turnaround offers new perspectives and concrete, evidence-based guidelines for the educational leaders and administrators faced with the challenge of turning their low-performing schools around. Presenting new evidence from a series of studies conducted in the US, Canada, and England, the book gives leaders tools to guide their schools to higher levels of achievement.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- 9780470407660 (hardback)
- 0470407662 (hardback)