Re-framing literacy : teaching and learning in English and the language arts
- Richard Andrews.
- New York : Routledge, 2011.
- Physical description
- xvii, 230 p. : ill ; 23 cm.
- Language, culture, and teaching.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LC149 .A64 2011||Unknown|
- Andrews, Richard, 1953 April 1-
- Includes bibliographical references (p. -222) and index.
- Frame I: The big picture 1. What's in a frame? 2. Framing in the visual arts 3. Framing in the performance arts 4. Visual and verbal frames 5. Frames of reference: framing within a theory of multimodality Frame II: The case of language 6. Pre-school writing and drawing: before framing 7. Re-framing language arts/English as a school subject8. Zooming in: framing in practice Frame III: Re-framing the picture 9. Breaking the frame: new horizons for English 10. Panning out: beyond rhetoric and framing.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Imaginative and attractive, cutting edge in its conception, this text explicates a model for the integration of language arts and literacy education based on the notion of framing. The act of framing - not frames in themselves - provides a creative and critical approach to English as a subject. Re-framing Literacy breaks new ground in the language arts/literacy field, integrating arts-based and sociologically based conceptions of the subject. The theory of rhetoric the book describes and which provides its overarching theory is dialogic, political, and liberating. Pedagogically, the text works inductively, from examples up toward theory: starting with visuals and moving back and forth between text and image; exploring multimodality; and engaging in the transformations of text and image that are at the heart of learning in English and the language arts. Structured like a teaching course, it is designed to excite and involve readers and lead them toward high-level and useful theory in the field. Offering an authoritative, clear guide to a complex field, it is widely appropriate for pre-service and in-service courses globally in English and language arts education.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Language, culture, and teaching
- 9780415995528 (hbk. : alk. paper)
- 0415995523 (hbk. : alk. paper)
- 9780415995535 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 0415995531 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 9780203853122 (ebk.)
- 0203853121 (ebk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: