Artful teaching : integrating the arts for understanding across the curriculum, K-8
- edited by David M. Donahue, Jennifer Stuart ; foreword by Cyrus E. Driver ; afterword by Lois Hetland.
- New York : Teachers College Press, Teachers College, Columbia University ; Reston, VA : National Art Education Association, c2010.
- Physical description
- viii, 181 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
- EDUC-219E-01 -- The Creative Arts in Elementary Classrooms
- Murdock-Perriera, Lisel Alice
Education Library (Cubberley)
On reserve: Ask at circulation desk
|LB1591.5 .U6 I67 2010||4-hour loan|
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Introduction : Five best questions about arts integration : what to ask before your start / David M. Donahue and Jennifer Stuart (with Todd Elkin and Arzu Mistry)
- What is art? / Laurie Polster
- How does art connect to social justice? / David M. Donohue ... [et al.]
- Creating alliances for arts learning and arts integration / Louise Music
- Seeing is believing : making our learning through the arts visible / Stephanie Violet Juno
- Leadership for and in the arts / Lynda Tredway and Rebecca Wheat
- Arts integration : one school, one step at a time / Debra Koppman
- Musical people, a musical school / Sarah Willner
- Visual prompts in writing instruction : working with middle school English language learners / Dafney Blanca Dabach
- Creativity as classroom management : using drama and hip-hop / Evan Hastings
- Keeping reading and writing personal and powerful : bringing poetry writing and bookmaking together / Cathleen Micheaels
- Learning and teaching dance in the elementary classroom / Patty Yancey
- Working with K-12 students : teaching artists' perspectives / Ann Wettrich.
- Publisher's Summary
- The authors in this volume share exemplary arts-integration practices across the K-8 curriculum. Rather than providing formulas or scripts to be followed, they carefully describe how the arts provide an entry point for gaining insight into why and how students learn. The book includes rich and lively examples of public school teachers integrating visual arts, music, drama, and dance with subject matter, including English, social studies, science, and mathematics. Readers will come away with a deeper understanding of why and how to use the arts every day, in every school, to reach every child. Both a practitioner's guide and a school reform model, this important book explains how arts integration across the K-8 curriculum contributes to student learning and features examples of how integrated arts education functions in classrooms when it is done well. In addition, it explores intensive teacher-education and principal-training programs now underway in several higher education institutions and offers concrete ideas for educators who are looking to strengthen their own skills and improve student opportunities for learning.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780807750803 20160604
- Publication date
- 9780807750810 (hardcover : alk. paper)
- 0807750816 (hardcover : alk. paper)
- 9780807750803 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 0807750808 (pbk. : alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: