Mechanical engineers' handbook [electronic resource]
- edited by Myer Kutz.
- 3rd ed.
- Hoboken, N.J. : John Wiley & Sons ; c2006.
- Physical description
- v. : ill. ; 25 cm.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Preface. Vision Statement. Contributors. PART 1: MATERIALS. 1. Carbon and Alloy Steels (Bruce L. Bramfitt). 2. Stainless Steels (James Kelly). 3. Aluminum Alloys (J. G. Kaufman). 4. Copper and Copper Alloys (Konrad J. A. Kundig and John G. Cowie). 5. Selection of Titanium Alloys for Design (Matthew J. Donachie). 6. Nickel and Its Alloys (Gaylord D. Smith and Brian A. Baker). 7. Magnesium and Its Alloys (Robert E. Brown). 8. Selection of Superalloys for Design (Matthew J. Donachie and Stephen J. Donachie). 9. Plastics: Information and Properties of Polymeric Materials (Edward N. Peters). 10. Composite Materials (Carl Zweben). 11. Smart Materials (James A. Harvey). 12. Overview of Ceramic Materials, Design, and Application (R. Nathan Katz). 13. Sources of Materials Data (J. G. Kaufman). 14. Quantitative Methods of Materials Selection (Mahmoud M. Farag). PART 2: MECHANICAL DESIGN. 15. Stress Analysis (Franklin E. Fisher). 16. An Introduction to the Finite-Element Method (Tarek I. Zohdi). 17. Design for Six Sigma: A Mandate for Competitiveness (James E. McMunigal and H. Barry Bebb). 18. TRIZ (James E. McMunigal, Steven Ungvari, Michael Slocum, and Ruth E. McMunigal). 19. Computer-Aided Design (Emory W. Zimmers, Jr., and Technical Staff of Enterprise Systems Center). 20. Data Exchange Using STEP (Martin Hardwick). 21. Engineering Applications of Virtual Reality (Xiaobo Peng and Ming C. Leu). 22. Physical Ergonimics (Maury A. Nussbaum and Jaap H. van Dieen). 23. Electronic Materials and Packaging (Warren C. Fackler). 24. Design Optimization: An Overview (A. Ravi Ravindran and G. V. Reklaitis). 25. Design for Manufacturing and Assembly with Plastics (James A. Harvey). 26. Failure Modes: Performance and Service Requirements for Metals (J. A. Collins and S. R. Daniewicz). 27. Failure Analysis of Plastics (Vishu H. Shah). 28. Failure Modes: Performance and Service Requirements for Ceramics (Dietrich Munz). 29. Mechanical Reliability and Life Prediction for Brittle Materials (G. S. White, E. R. Fuller, Jr., and S. W. Freiman). 30. Total Quality Management in Mechanical Design (B. S. Dhillon). 31. Reliability in the Mechanical Design Process (B. S. Dhillon). 32. Lubrication of Machine Elements (Bernard J. Hamrock). 33. Seal Technology (Bruce M. Steinetz). 34. Vibration and Shock (Singiresu S. Rao). 35. Noise Measurement and Control (George M. Diehl). 36. Nondestructive Inspection (Robert L. Crane and Jeremy S. Knopp). Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- The updated revision of the bestseller-in a more useful format! Mechanical Engineers' Handbook has a long tradition as a single resource of valuable information related to specialty areas in the diverse industries and job functions in which mechanical engineers work. This Third Edition, the most aggressive revision to date, goes beyond the straight data, formulas, and calculations provided in other handbooks and focuses on authoritative discussions, real-world examples, and insightful analyses while covering more topics than in previous editions. Book 1: Materials and Mechanical Design is divided into two parts that go hand-in-hand. The first part covers metals, plastics, composites, ceramics, and smart materials, providing expert advice on common uses of specific materials as well as what criteria qualify them as suitable for particular applications. Coverage in the second part of this book addresses practical techniques to solve real, everyday problems, including: Nondestructive testing Computer-Aided Design (CAD) TRIZ (the Russian acronym for Theory of Inventive Problem Solving) The Standard for the Exchange of Product Model Data (STEP) Virtual reality.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Electronic reproduction. Norwich, N.Y. : Knovel, 2007. System requirements: Adobe Acrobat Reader. Available via the World Wide Web. Access restricted to users at licensed institutions. Includes interactive index.
- 9781601191298 (v. 1 : e-book)
- 1601191294 (v. 1 : e-book)
- 9781601191281 (v. 2 : e-book)
- 1601191286 (v. 2 : e-book)
- 9781601191304 (v. 3 : e-book)
- 1601191308 (v. 3 : e-book)
- 9781601191311 (v. 4 : e-book)
- 1601191316 (v. 4 : e-book)