The SAGE handbook of philosophy of education
- edited by Richard Bailey ... [et al.].
- Los Angeles : SAGE, 2010.
- Physical description
- xx, 550 p. ; 26 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
LB17 .S114 2010
- In-library use LB17 .S114 2010
- Bailey, Richard, 1966-
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- PART ONE: EDUCATIONAL PHILOSOPHY AND THEORY What Is Philosophy of Education? - D C Phillips Schools of Thought in Philosophy of Education - Robin Barrow The Philosophy of Education and Educational Theory - David Carr The Philosophy of Education and Educational Practice - Richard Pring PART TWO: SOME KEY HISTORICAL FIGURES IN THE PHILOSOPHY OF EDUCATION Plato and Education - Ieuan Williams Rousseau's Emile and Educational Legacy - Jack Martin and Nathan Martin John Dewey and Educational Pragmatism - James Scott Johnston T S Eliot, Education and Culture - Andrew Reid R S Peters, Liberal Traditionalist - M A B Degenhart Post-Structuralism, Postmodernism and Education - Richard Smith Feminism and Education - Cris Mayo and Barbara Stengel Education and the Catholic Tradition - Kevin Williams Gazetteer of Educational Thinkers - Compiled by Robert Manery PART THREE: PHILOSOPHY OF EDUCATION AND EDUCATIONAL PRACTICE The Pofessional Status of Teaching - Timothy Reagan Teaching and Pedagogy - David T Hansen and Megan J Laverty The Wider Ethical Dimensions of Education and Teaching - Hugh Sockett Moral and Citizenship Education - J Mark Halstead Indoctrination - Richard Bailey Knowledge and Truth - Harvey Siegel The Value of Knowledge - Brenda Almond Concepts of Mind - Christine McCarthy Learning - Andrew Davis Motivation and Learning - Frederick S Ellett Jr and David P Erickson Transferable Skills - Stephen Johnson Educational Assessment - John Halliday Inclusion and Diversity - Penny Enslin and Nicki Hedge Equality and Justice - Claudia Ruitenberg and Daniel Vokey Individual and Community Aims in Education - John P Portelli and Francine Menashy Art and Aesthetics in Education - Constantin Koopman Religious Education - James C Conroy and Robert A Davis Physical Education - Mike McNamee and Richard Bailey Philosophical Questions about Learning Technologies - Craig A Cunningham and Briana L Allen Personal and Social Education - Graham Haydon Education and the Environment - Michael Bonnett.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- This book provides an authoritative, yet accessible guide to the Philosophy of Education, its scope, its key thinkers and movements, and its potential contribution to a range of educational concerns. The text offers a balanced view of three key dimensions: first, in giving an equal weight to different styles and modes of philosophy; second, by including past and present perspectives on philosophy of education; and third, in covering both the general "perennial" issues in philosophy and issues of more contemporary concern. Section one of the book exemplifies different styles of philosophy, paying attention to the contemporary debates as to the nature, possibilities and limitations of these different approaches to philosophy of education. Section two is devoted to particular thinkers of the past, and more general coverage of the history of philosophy of education. Section three is dedicated to contemporary philosophic thought on education, providing the basis and reference point for an exploration of contemporary issues. The handbook is designed primarily to be useful to students studying the field of philosophy of education, in the context of the study of educational foundations or theory. But it is also designed to be of use to practising teachers who wish to gain easy access to current philosophical thinking on particular contemporary educational issues, and to educationalists of all types who want a succinct guide to questions relating to the nature, the history, and the current state of the art of philosophy of education.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Title Variation
- Handbook of philosophy of education
- Philosophy of education
- 9781847874672 (hbk.)
- 1847874673 (hbk.)