The reporter's handbook on nuclear materials, energy, and waste management [electronic resource]
- Michael R. Greenberg ... [et al.].
- Nashville : Vanderbilt University Press, c2009.
- Physical description
- xiv, 306 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
- Greenberg, Michael R.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Publisher's Summary
- An essential reference for journalists, activists, and students, this book presents scientifically accurate and accessible overviews of twenty-four of the most important issues in the nuclear realm, including: health effects, nuclear safety and engineering, Three Mile Island and Chernobyl, nuclear medicine, food irradiation, transport of nuclear materials, spent fuel, nuclear weapons, and global warming. Each 'brief' is based on interviews with named scientists, engineers, or administrators in a nuclear specialty, and each has been reviewed by a team of independent experts. The objective is not to make a case for or against nuclear-related technologies, but rather to provide definitive background information. (The approach is based on that of ""The Reporter's Environmental Handbook"", published in 1988, which won a special award for journalism from the Sigma Delta Chi Society of professional journalists.) Other features of the book include: a glossary of hundreds of terms; an introduction to risk assessment; environmental and economic impacts, and public perceptions; an article by an experienced reporter with recommendations about how to cover nuclear issues; quick guides to the history of nuclear power in the United States, important federal legislation and regulations, nuclear position statements, and key organizations; and, references for print and electronic resources.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780826516596 20180521
- Publication date
- Electronic reproduction. Palo Alto, Calif. : ebrary, 2009. Available via World Wide Web. Access may be limited to ebrary affiliated libraries.
- 9780826516596 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 0826516599 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 9780826516602 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 0826516602 (pbk. : alk. paper)