Handbook of research on children's and young adult literature
- edited by Shelby A. Wolf ... [et al.].
- New York : Routledge, 2011.
- Physical description
- xii, 555 p. : ill. ; 29 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|PS121 .H22 2011||In-library use|
|PS121 .H22 2011||Unknown|
- Wolf, Shelby Anne.
- Includes bibliographical references and indexes.
- PART 1-THE READER Introduction to Part 1 1. Children Reading at Home: An Historical Overview, Evelyn Arizpe & Morag Styles 2. Questioning the Value of Literacy: A Phenomenology of Speaking and Reading in Children, Eva-Maria Simms 3. The Book as Home? It All Depends. Shirley Brice Heath 4. Reading Literature in Elementary Classrooms, Kathy G. Short 5. Readers, Texts, and Contexts in the Middle: Re-imagining Literature Education for Young Adolescents, Thomas P. Crumpler & Linda Wedwick 6. Reading Literature in Secondary School: Disciplinary Discourses in Global Times, Cynthia Lewis & Jessica Dockter 7. Imagining a Writer's Life: Extending the Connection Between Readers and Books, Elizabeth Dutro & Monette C. McIver 8. Theoretical and Pedagogical Possibilities in the Teaching of Latina/o Children's Literature in Multicultural Contexts, Maria E. Franquiz, Carmen Martinez-Roldan, & Carmen I. Mercado 9. School Libraries and the Transformation of Readers and Reading, Eliza T. Dresang & M. Bowie Kotrla 10. Public Libraries in the Lives of Young Readers: Past, Present, and Future, Kathleen Weibel, Virginia A. Walter, & Paulette M. Rothbauer 11. Becoming Readers of Literature with LGBT Themes In and Out of Classrooms, Mollie V. Blackburn & Caroline T. Clark 12. Immigrant Students as Cosmopolitan Intellectuals, Gerald Campano & Maria Paula Ghiso PART 2-THE BOOK Introduction to Part 2 13. History of Children's and Young Adult Literature, Deborah Stevenson Point of Departure, Lois Lowry 14. Dime Novels and Series Books, Catherine Sheldrick Ross Point of Departure, Candice Ransom 15. Folklore in Children's Literature: Contents and Discontents, Betsy Hearne Point of Departure, Julius Lester 16. African American Children's Literature: Researching Its Development, Exploring Its Voices, Rudine Sims Bishop Point of Departure, Jacqueline Woodson 17.The Art of the Picturebook, Lawrence R. Sipe Point of Departure, Chris Raschka Point of Departure, David Wiesner 18. Comics and Graphic Novels, Robin Brenner Point of Departure, Gareth Hinds Point of Departure, Raina Telgemeier 19. A Burgeoning Field or a Sorry State: U.S. Poetry for Children, 1800-Present, Laura Apol & Janine L. Certo Point of Departure, Janet S. Wong 20. Nonfiction Literature for Children: Old Assumptions and New Directions, Barbara Kiefer & Melissa I. Wilson Point of Departure, Penny Colman 21. Genre as Nexus: The Novel for Children and Young Adults, Mike Cadden Point of Departure, Philip Pullman 22. Young Adult Literature: Growing Up, In Theory, Karen Coats Point of Departure, Markus Zusak 23. Reading Indigeneity: The Ethics of Interpretation and Representation, Clare Bradford Point of Departure, Joseph Bruchac 24. Literary Studies, Cultural Studies, Children's Literature, and the Case of Jeff Smith, Roderick McGillis Point of Departure, David Filipi Point of Departure, David Filipi, Lucy Shelton Caswell, & Jeff Smith 25. Ideology and Children's Books, Robyn McCallum & John Stephens Point of Departure, M.T. Anderson 26. The Author's Perspective, Claudia Mills Point of Departure, Phyllis Reynolds Naylor 27.Archives and Special Collections Devoted to Children's and Young Adult Literature, Karen Nelson Hoyle Point of Departure, Leonard S. Marcus PART 3-THE WORLD AROUND Introduction to Part 3 28. Where Worlds Meet, Ana Maria Machado Point of Departure, Katherine Paterson 29. Translation and Crosscultural Reception, Maria Nikolajeva Point of Departure, Tara F. Chace 30. The Implied Reader of the Translation, Petros Panaou & Tasoula Tsilimeni Point of Departure, Kostia Kontoleon 31. International Communities Building Places for Youth Reading, Michael Daniel Ambatchew Point of Departure, Jane Kurtz Point of Departure, Yohannes Gebregeorgis 32. Censorship: Book Challenges, Challenging Books, and Young Readers, Christine Jenkins 33. Reviewing Children's and Young Adult Literature, Michael Cart 34. Awards in Literature for Children and Adolescents, Junko Yokota 35. The Economics of Children's Book Publishing in the 21st Century, Joel Taxel 36. Spinning Off: Toys, Television, Tie-Ins, and Technology, Margaret Mackey 37. Listening for the Scratch of a Pen: Museums Devoted to Children's and Young Adult Literature , Elizabeth Hammill Contributor List Author Index Subject Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- This landmark volume is the first to bring together leading scholarship on children's and young adult literature from three intersecting disciplines: Education, English, and Library and Information Science. Distinguished by its multidisciplinary approach, it describes and analyzes the different aspects of literary reading, texts, and contexts to illuminate how the book is transformed within and across different academic figurations of reading and interpreting children's literature. Part one considers perspectives on readers and reading literature in home, school, library, and community settings. Part two introduces analytic frames for studying young adult novels, picturebooks, indigenous literature, graphic novels, and other genres. Chapters include commentary on literary experiences and creative production from renowned authors and illustrators. Part three focuses on the social contexts of literary study, with chapters on censorship, awards, marketing, and literary museums. The singular contribution of this Handbook is to lay the groundwork for colleagues across disciplines to redraw the map of their separately figured worlds, thus to enlarge the scope of scholarship and dialogue as well as push ahead into uncharted territory.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- 9780415965057 (hbk. : alk. paper)
- 0415965055 (hbk. : alk. paper)
- 9780415965064 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 0415965063 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 9780203843543 (ebk.)
- 0203843541 (ebk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: