Gender differences at critical transitions in the careers of science, engineering, and mathematics faculty
- Washington, D.C. : National Academies Press, c2010.
- Physical description
- xvii, 365 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
Q148 .G46 2010
- Unknown Q148 .G46 2010
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 330-351) and index.
- Publisher's Summary
- Gender Differences at Critical Transitions in the Careers of Science, Engineering, and Mathematics Faculty presents new and surprising findings about career differences between female and male full-time, tenure-track, and tenured faculty in science, engineering, and mathematics at the nation's top research universities. Much of this congressionally mandated book is based on two unique surveys of faculty and departments at major U.S. research universities in six fields: biology, chemistry, civil engineering, electrical engineering, mathematics, and physics. A departmental survey collected information on departmental policies, recent tenure and promotion cases, and recent hires in almost 500 departments. A faculty survey gathered information from a stratified, random sample of about 1,800 faculty on demographic characteristics, employment experiences, the allocation of institutional resources such as laboratory space, professional activities, and scholarly productivity. This book paints a timely picture of the status of female faculty at top universities, clarifies whether male and female faculty have similar opportunities to advance and succeed in academia, challenges some commonly held views, and poses several questions still in need of answers. This book will be of special interest to university administrators and faculty, graduate students, policy makers, professional and academic societies, federal funding agencies, and others concerned with the vitality of the U.S. research base and economy.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Educational surveys > United States.
- Universities and colleges > Faculty > Employment > Sex differences > United States > Statistics.
- Sex discrimination in employment > United States.
- Sex discrimination in higher education > United States.
- Women in science > United States.
- Women in technology > United States.
- Women in mathematics > United States.
- Publication date
- Committee on Gender Differences in Careers of Science, Engineering, and Mathematics Faculty, Committee on Women in Science, Engineering, and Medicine [of] Policy and Global Affairs, Committee on National Statistics, Division of Behavioral and Social Sciences and Education, National Research Council of the National Academies.
- 9780309114639 (hbk.)
- 0309114632 (hbk.)
- 9780309114646 (ebk.)
- 0309114640 (ebk.)