Breviary, with neumes, with readings from Psalm 55 : manuscript fragment
- Germany ? : circa 1400
- Physical description
- 1 leaf, 238 x 230 mm
The Manuscripts Division of the Department of Special Collections at Stanford University Library exists to arrange, describe, preserve, and make available documents of enduring historic value, both as intellectual items \n and as historical artifacts, to support the research needs of the undergraduates, graduate students, faculty and other scholars at Stanford University and beyond.
- Corporate Author
- Catholic Church.
- Church music > Catholic Church > 500-1400 > Manuscripts.
- Manuscripts, Latin (Medieval and modern) > Germany.
- Paleography, Musical.
- Earliest possible date
- Latest possible date
- The text from Psalms 55 was used for the Sorrows of the Virgin (15 September) and for the Faithful Departed (2 November), but was also part of the weekly reading of the Psalter.
- The remains of 14 lines of text are written in a large gothic liturgical script in dark brown ink.
- Includes part of a line of music with lozenge-shaped neumes on red lines.
- Ruled with plummet, initials in red.
- Open for research; material must be requested at least 24 hours in advance of intended use.
- Purchased from Bernard Quaritch (catalog 1396, number 53), 2010. Accession 2010-183.
- Part of a large folio leaf from a monumental service book, probably a noted Breviary. [dealer description]
Acquired with support from
Browse related items
Start at call number: