Missal, with neumes, with readings for the feasts of All Saints, Saint Martin, Andrew, Nicholas, and the dedication of a church : manuscript fragment
- Latin. In Latin.
- [Austria? : circa 1180-1199]
- Physical description
- 1 leaf, 356 x 215 mm (320 x 190 mm)
- Corporate Author
- Catholic Church.
- St. Gall neumes written without staves.
- Layout and script: a nearly complete leaf, double columns of 37 lines written in a romanesque hand, dark brown ink, ruled lightly with plummet.
- Decoration: on the recto a large initial "O" (Omnes Sancti) with entwined leafy tendrils in red outline and areas filled with green, red and blue; four other large red initials, rubrics and numerous small red initials.
- Open for research; material must be requested at least 24 hours in advance of intended use.
- Purchased from Bernard Quaritch (catalog 1396, number 49), 2010. Accession 2010-166.
- From an elegant romanesque Missal with neumes, this leaf survived as a pastedown or flyleaf in a volume from the Benedictine Abbey of Melk in lower Austria (founded 1089). A 17th- or 18th-century shelfmark "Monasterii Mellicensis G. 38" is written and partly erased in the upper margin of the recto. [from dealer description]