Teaching bilingual/bicultural children : teachers talk about language and learning
- New York : Peter Lang, c2010.
- Physical description
- xiv, 188 p. ; 24 cm.
- Counterpoints (New York, N.Y.) v. 371.
LC3725 .T43 2010
- Unknown LC3725 .T43 2010
- Includes bibliographical references (p. -177) and index.
- Contents: Antonia Darder: Foreword - Lourdes Diaz Soto/Haroon Kharem: Introduction - Lourdes Diaz Soto/Haroon Kharem: Engaging the World of Teacher Preparation on Behalf of Bilingual/Bicultural Learners - Charise Pimentel: Color-coded Bilingualism - Linda Guardia Jackson/Sheila Bernal Guzman/Guadalupe Ramos: Learning a Borderland Professional Identity - Alma Rubal-Lopez: Nuyorican - Luis Urrieta, Jr.: Whitestreaming: Why Some Latinas/os Fear Bilingual Education - Maria R. Scharron-del Rio: Puertorriquena como yo - Delida Sanchez: Race Matters for Bilingual/Bicultural Children - Octavio Pimentel: Mi Pobre Guerito - Frances V. Rains/Melody Bidtah/Lovera Black Crow/Kara Horton/Toni Jones: American Indian Mothers Speaking from the Heart - Marion Lynch: The Role of Teacher Beliefs in the Bilingual/Bicultural Classroom - Lena Boustani Darwich: Responsive Teaching: Our Muslim Students' Learning Expectations - Noelle Gentile: Exploration for School Action-Based Learning - Mercedes E. Cepeda: Culture and Language in the Classroom from the Perspective of a Latina Teacher - Sharon L. Hixon: Teachers Overcoming Silence - Elizabeth P. Quintero: Learning from Children's and Teachers' Stories - Irene V. Garza: Immigrants in Our Own Land - Haroon Kharem/Genevieve Collura: Teachers Rethinking Their Pedagogical Attitudes in the Bicultural/Bilingual Classroom.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- This edited volume is dedicated to contemporary teachers. Its goal is to provide a practical book for in-service and pre-service teachers of bilingual/bicultural children. The authors, each of whom is herself bilingual/bicultural, share personal wisdom garnered from working in classrooms with bilingual/bicultural learners. This book provides practical knowledge for teachers who are struggling to meet the needs of increasingly diverse classrooms.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- edited by Lourdes Diaz Soto and Haroon Kharem.
- Counterpoints, 1058-1634 ; v. 371
- 1433107198 (casebound : alk. paper)
- 143310718X (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 9781433107191 (casebound : alk. paper)
- 9781433107184 (pbk. : alk. paper)