Breviary, with neumes, with the antiphon for Vespers at Holy Trinity : manuscript fragment
- Latin. In Latin.
- [Austria? : circa 1200]
- Physical description
- Upper half of a leaf, 150 x 209 mm.
- Corporate Author
- Catholic Church.
- St. Gall neumes written without staves, marginal musical cues.
- Earliest possible date
- Latest possible date
- Layout and script: written in a romanesque script, dark brown ink, 10/11 lines.
- Decoration: large initial "G" (Gloria) with entwined leafy tendrils in red outline, rubrics.
- Trimmed from use as a pastedown or flyleaf in a binding from Melk.
- Open for research; material must be requested at least 24 hours in advance of intended use.
- Purchased from Bernard Quaritch (catalog 1396, number 46), 2010. Accession 2010-165.
- This leaf survived as a pastedown or flyleaf in a volume form the Benedictine Abbey of Melk in lower Austria (founded 1089). A 17th- or 18th-century inscription "Monasterii Mellicensis" is written and partly erased in an upper margin. [from dealer's description]
Acquired with support from
Browse related items
Start at call number: