Layout and script: written in a romanesque script, dark brown ink, 10/11 lines.
Decoration: large initial "G" (Gloria) with entwined leafy tendrils in red outline, rubrics.
Trimmed from use as a pastedown or flyleaf in a binding from Melk.
Open for research; material must be requested at least 24 hours in advance of intended use.
Purchased from Bernard Quaritch (catalog 1396, number 46), 2010. Accession 2010-165.
This leaf survived as a pastedown or flyleaf in a volume form the Benedictine Abbey of Melk in lower Austria (founded 1089). A 17th- or 18th-century inscription "Monasterii Mellicensis" is written and partly erased in an upper margin. [from dealer's description]