Legenda aurea, portion of chapters 26-27 : manuscript fragment
- Germany or Flanders : circa 1250-1299.
- Physical description
- 1 leaf.
- Jacobus, de Voragine, approximately 1229-1298
- Earliest possible date
- Latest possible date
- Double columns of 42 lines written in a gothic script in dark brown ink, ruled lightly with ink.
- Capital strokes in red. Large initial "j" (Johannes elemosinarius) in red and green.
- Recovered from a binding.
- Purchased from Bernard Quaritch (catalog 1396, number 31), 2010. Accession 2010-177.
- From a large and early manuscript of the Legenda aurea. Compiled around 1260 and originally entitled Legenda sanctorum, the work is a collection of the legendary lives of the greater saints of the medieval church. This leaf contains parts of the lives of Saints Basil and John the Almsgiver.
Browse related items
Start at call number: