Legenda aurea, portion of chapters 26-27 : manuscript fragment
- Germany or Flanders : circa 1250-1299.
- Physical description
- 1 leaf.
- Jacobus, de Voragine, approximately 1229-1298
- Earliest possible date
- Latest possible date
- Double columns of 42 lines written in a gothic script in dark brown ink, ruled lightly with ink.
- Capital strokes in red. Large initial "j" (Johannes elemosinarius) in red and green.
- Recovered from a binding.
- Purchased from Bernard Quaritch (catalog 1396, number 31), 2010. Accession 2010-177.
- From a large and early manuscript of the Legenda aurea. Compiled around 1260 and originally entitled Legenda sanctorum, the work is a collection of the legendary lives of the greater saints of the medieval church. This leaf contains parts of the lives of Saints Basil and John the Almsgiver.