Bible, in Latin, (II Chronicles 4, 12 - 6, 37) : manuscript fragment
- Northern France or southern Flanders : circa 1320.
- Physical description
- 1 leaf, 404 x 270 mm (289 x 183 mm)
- Corporate Author
- Catholic Church.
- Earliest possible date
- Latest possible date
- A complete leaf, double columns of 50 lines, ruled lightly with plummet, written in dark brown ink in a regular gothic hand.
- Capitals touched in yellow, chapter numbers and running titles in alternately red and blue letters; two 3-line illuminated initials, one ("P") enclosing a spiralling blue and orange ivy-leaf design on a burnished gold ground, the other ("T") enclosing a tessellated design in blue, pink and burnished gold, both initials with full-length branching ivy-leaf bar borders extending into upper and lower margins in shades of blue, pink and orange and burnished gold.
- Open for research; material must be requested at least 24 hours in advance of intended use.
- Purchased from Bernard Quaritch (catalog 1396, number 10), 2010. Accession 2010-176.
- From a lectern Bible with border decoration of high quality.
- The parent manuscript was bequeathed to a Dominican convent in 1450 by Mirmellus Arnandi, lawyer and judge. Subsequently in the possession of Otto F. Ege of Cleveland, Ohio. Single leaves from the same manuscript appeared at various auction sales including Sotheby's New York, 9 April 1980, lot 227, and Sotheby's London, 25 April 1983, lot 83. The major bulk of the volume was lot 39 in Sotheby's sale of 11 December 1984.