Creoles in education : an appraisal of current programs and projects
- edited by Bettina Migge, Isabelle Léglise, Angela Bartens.
- Amsterdam ; Philadelphia : John Benjamins Pub. Co., c2010.
- Physical description
- vi, 356 p. : ill., maps ; 25 cm.
- Creole language library ; v. 36.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LC3609 .C74 2010||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references (p. -350) and index.
- 1. Acknowledgements, pvii-- 2. Creoles in education: A discussion of pertinent issues (by Migge, Bettina), p1-30-- 3. Raising critical language awareness in Hawai'i at Da Pidgin Coup (by Higgins, Christina), p31-54-- 4. Chabacano for everyone?: Chabacano language projects in Cavite City in comparison with other Chabacano communities (by Sippola, Eeva), p55-80-- 5. The Teaching of Creole in Guadeloupe (by Bolus, Mirna), p81-106-- 6. Integrating local languages and cultures into the education system of French Guiana: A discussion of current programs and initiatives (by Migge, Bettina), p107-132-- 7. Kriol in Caribbean Nicaragua schools (by Koskinen, Arja), p133-166-- 8. Swimming against the tide: Jamaican Creole in education (by Carpenter, Karen), p167-182-- 9. Introducing French Creole as a language of instruction in education in St. Lucia (by Simmons-McDonald, Hazel), p183-210-- 10. Bilingual education among the Karipuna and Galibi-Marwono: Prospects and Possibilities for language preservation (by Ferreira, Jo-Anne S.), p211-236-- 11. Language and education in Aruba, Bonaire and Curacao (by Dijkhoff, Marta), p237-272-- 12. Cape Verdean in education: A linguistic and human right (by Baptista, Marlyse), p273-296-- 13. Trilingual education: On the Islands of San Andres, Providence, and Santa Catalina (by Morren, Ronald C.), p297-322-- 14. Bibliography, p323-350-- 15. Biographical sketches of contributors, p351-354-- 16. Index, p355-356.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- This volume offers a first survey of projects from around the world that seek to implement Creole languages in education. In contrast to previous works, this volume takes a holistic approach. Chapters discuss the sociolinguistic, educational and ideological context of projects, policy developments and project implementation, development and evaluation. It compares different kinds of educational activities focusing on Creoles and discusses a list of procedures that are necessary for successfully developing, evaluating and reforming educational activities that aim to integrate Creole languages in a viable and sustainable manner into formal education. The chapters are written by practitioners and academics involved in educational projects. They serve as a resource for practitioners, academics and persons wishing to devise or adapt educational initiatives. It is suitable for use in upper level undergraduate and post-graduate modules dealing with language and education with a focus on lesser used languages.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Creole language library (CLL) ; v. 36
- 9027252580 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 9789027252586 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 9027288208 (e-book)
- 9789027288202 (e-book)
Browse related items
Start at call number: