School discipline and self-discipline : a practical guide to promoting prosocial student behavior
- George G. Bear.
- New York : Guilford Press, c2010.
- Physical description
- xv, 256 p. : ill. ; 27 cm.
- Guilford practical intervention in the schools series.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LB3012 .B318 2010||Unknown|
- Bear, George G.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 229-253) and index.
- Classroom Management and School Discipline: Punishment and its Positive Alternatives. Managing Student Behavior with the Positive Behavioral Techniques of Schoolwide Positive Behavior Supports. Self-Discipline and the Social and Emotional Learning Approach to School Discipline. Strategies for Developing Self-Discipline (and a Positive School Climate). Preventing Behavior Problems. Praise and Rewards: Use with Caution? Strategic Use of Praise and Rewards for Developing Self-Discipline and a Positive School Climate. When Extrinsic Rewards are Needed: Implementing the Good Behavior Game (While Developing Self-Discipline). Authoritative Discipline in the Correction of Misbehavior. Developing Self-Discipline When Correcting Misbehavior. Implementing Schoolwide Change. Appendix A: Schoolwide and Classroom Strengths-and-Needs Assessment: From Schoolwide Discipline to Self-Discipline. Appendix B: Delaware School Climate Survey - Student Version. Appendix C: Delaware School Climate Survey - Teacher and Staff Version. Appendix D: Delaware School Climate Survey - Home Version.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9781606236819 20160604
- Publisher's Summary
- How can schools create safe, well-supervised classroom environments while also teaching students skills for managing their behavior on their own? This invaluable guide presents a framework for achieving both of these crucial goals. It shows how to balance external reinforcements such as positive behavior supports with social-emotional learning interventions. Evidence-based techniques are provided for targeting the cognitive and emotional processes that underlie self-discipline, both in classroom instruction and when correcting problem behavior. Describing how to weave the techniques together into a comprehensive schoolwide disciplinary approach, the book includes over a dozen reproducible forms, checklists, and assessment tools. The large-size format and lay-flat binding facilitate photocopying. This book will be of most value to school psychologists, administrators, school counselors and social workers, and general and special education teachers. It will also serve as a supplemental text in graduate-level courses such as Classroom Management and School Discipline, and School Consultation.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781606236819 20160604
- Publication date
- The Guilford practical intervention in the schools series
- 9781606236819 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 1606236814 (pbk. : alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: