What every teacher should know about diverse learners
- Donna Walker Tileston.
- 2nd ed.
- Thousand Oaks, Calif. : Corwin, c2010.
- Physical description
- xvii, 101 p. : ill. ; 23 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LC1099.3 .T55 2010||Unknown|
- Tileston, Donna Walker.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 90-92) and index.
- Acknowledgments About the Author Introduction Vocabulary Pretest 1. Influences A Few Definitions to Consider Back to the Future What Are the Issues Now? 2. How Are We Diverse? Why Is It Important to Examine Differences? Cultural Diversity Diversity of Modalities Diversity of Socioeconomic Status Diversity of Race/Ethnicity 3. Recognizing the Signs of Bias Linguistic Bias Stereotyping Exclusion Unreality Selectivity Isolation 4. The Road to Closing the Achievement Gap The Urban Achievement Gap: Fact Versus Fiction What Can Teachers Do? 5. Which Teaching and Learning Strategies Make the Most Difference in Closing the Gap? What Is a Best Practice? High Expectations: Why They Matter The Role of the Self-System in Learning We Have Their Attention--Now What? General Ideas for Cognition Some Additional Thoughts How Do We Deal With Language Acquisition Skills? 6. Working With Diversity: A Teacher?s Checklist Vocabulary Summary Vocabulary Posttest References Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- This second edition of the bestseller presents critical information about teaching diverse learners and demonstrates how teachers can ensure every student's academic success. Updated throughout, the book reflects new data about the brain, the need for a variety of strategies, and the value of using visual and kinesthetic tools. The author provides a teacher's checklist for working with diversity and helps readers consider: the impact of factors such as socioeconomic status, race, and ethnicity; signs of personal bias involving language, stereotypes, exclusion, and selectivity; teaching strategies that focus on the learner's attention, cognition, memory, and self-system; and, setting high expectations for learners.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- 9781412971751 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 1412971756 (pbk. : alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: