The school principal : visionary leadership and competent management
- Theodore J. Kowalski.
- New York : Routledge, 2010.
- Physical description
- xx, 251 p. : ill. ; 27 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LB2831.92 .K69 2010||Unknown|
- Kowalski, Theodore J.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. -233) and index.
- Part One: Schools and Principals 1. Complex Nature of Schools 2. Principal Roles and Responsibilities 3. Effective Schools for All Students Part Two: Leadership Expectations 4. Principal Behavior and Instructional Leadership 5. Organizing and Evaluating Instructional Programs 6. Building and Maintaining Relationships Part Three: Managerial Responsibilities 7. Managing Material Resources 8. Managing Human Resources 9. Managing Pupil Services 10. Providing a Safe School Environment Part Four: Vital Aspects of Practice 11. Problem Solving and Decision Making 12. Collaborative Efforts for School Improvement 13. Commitment to Being a School Administrator.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780415806237 20160604
- Publisher's Summary
- Over the past two decades, efforts to improve schools have significantly modified role expectations for principals. Today, school-level administrators are expected to be both visionary leaders and competent managers. Based on the conviction that administration is an amalgam of leadership and management, The School Principal emphasizes the need for practitioners to apply conceptual skills to make "what to do" decisions, to apply technical skills to make "how to do" decisions, and to apply relational skills to engage in democratic decision making. Kowalski frames the book with a discussion of the nature of schools, the roles of principals, and their need to improve schools. The book then provides a balanced treatment of leadership and management, covering issues of personal behavior, instructional leadership, relationship building issues, finances, facilities, personnel management, pupil services, and maintaining safe schools. The text closes with discussion of the vital aspects of practice for contemporary principals, addressing problem solving, collaborative change strategies, and personal commitment to being a principal. Special Features: * Vignettes introduce the subject matter in the context of common challenges faced by practitioners. * Knowledge-Based Questions and Skill-Based Activities prompt readers to engage with and reflect on the chapter content. *The School Principal aligns with the Educational Leadership Consortium Council (ELCC) Standards. Treating principals as concurrently visionary leaders and competent managers, this excellent text addresses the needs of aspiring and practicing principals, providing the tools to build effective and efficient schools.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780415806237 20160604
- Publication date
- 9780415806220 (hbk. : alk. paper)
- 9780415806237 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 9780203857397 (ebook)
- 0415806224 (hbk. : alk. paper)
- 0415806232 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 0203857399 (ebook)
Browse related items
Start at call number: