Mathematics teaching and learning in K-12 : equity and professional development
- edited by Mary Q. Foote.
- 1st ed.
- New York : Palgrave Macmillan, 2010.
- Physical description
- xii, 242 p. : ill. ; 22 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|QA13 .M369 2010||Unknown|
- Foote, Mary Q.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. -238).
- PART I: WHO IS PARTICIPATING IN THE PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT?: EXAMINING THE TRAJECTORIES OF TEACHER ENGAGEMENT Bilingual Elementary Teachers' Reflections on Using Students' Native Language and Culture to Teach Mathematics-- S.Celedon-Pattichis, S.I.Musanti& M.E.Marshall Centering the Teaching of Mathematics on Students: Equity Pedagogy in Action-- L.H.Rubel The Power of One: Teachers Examine their Mathematics Teaching Practice by Studying a Single Child-- M.Q.Foote Pursuing 'Diversity' as an Issue of Teaching Practice in Mathematics Teacher Professional Development-- A.Ryu Edwards Teacher Positioning and Equitable Mathematics Pedagogy-- A.A.Wager Math is More Than Numbers: Forging Connections among Equity, Teacher Participation, and Professional Development-- C.Koehn Using Artifacts to Engage Teachers in Equity Based Professional Development: The Journey of One Teacher-- K.M.Ho Commentaries on Part I-- K.Brown & M.Franke PART II: WHAT TOOLS HAVE PROVED EFFECTIVE?: EXAMINING EFFECTIVE RESOURCES AND VEHICLES FOR ADDRESSING THE NEEDS OF TEACHERS AND THEIR STUDENTS Building Community and Relationships that Support Critical Conversations on Race: The Case of Cognitively Guided Instruction-- D.Battey & A.Chan Status and Competence as an Entry Point into Discussions of Equity in Mathematics Classrooms-- V.M.Hand, J.Quindel & I.Esmonde Creating 'Constructive Opportunities': A 'How' to Embracing Students' Mathematical Conceptions-- V.R.Pitts Bannister, G.J.Mariano & C.D.Hall Using Lesson Study as a Means to Support Teachers in Learning to Teach Mathematics for Social Justice-- T.Gau Bartell Keeping the Mathematics on the Table in Urban, Mathematics Professional Development: A Model that Integrates Dispositions towards Students-- J.Spencer, J.Park & R.Santagata Commentaries on Part II-- M.Franke & K.Brown.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780230622395 20160604
- Publisher's Summary
- This volume contains a number of studies on professional development that blend issues in mathematics education with issues of equity. The composition of U.S. schools is becoming more diverse while the teaching force remains largely White and middle class. Teachers are thus meeting students who have backgrounds significantly different from their own. Teaching these diverse students effectively involves attending to multiple issues that impact classroom performance, as well as developing multiple knowledge bases including knowledge of content, and knowledge of students and their communities. Professional development must therefore address both mathematics and equity so that student learning can be enhanced.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780230622395 20160604
- Publication date
- 9780230622395 (hbk. : alk. paper)
- 0230622399 (hbk. : alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: