Show tunes : the songs, shows, and careers of Broadway's major composers
- Steven Suskin ; with a foreword by Michael Feinstein.
- Rev. and expanded 4th ed.
- Oxford [U.K.] ; New York : Oxford University Press, 2010.
- Physical description
- xxiii, 600 p. ; 26 cm.
|ML128 .M78 S86 2010||In-library use|
- Suskin, Steven.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 487-489) and indexes.
- PREFACE -- ACKNOWLEDGMENTS -- HOW TO USE THIS BOOK -- PART 1 -- Composers of the Early Years -- INTRODUCTION -- Jerome Kern -- Irving Berlin -- George Gershwin -- Vincent Youmans -- Richard Rodgers -- Cole Porter -- Arthur Schwartz -- Harold Arlen -- Vernon Duke -- Burton Lane -- Kurt Weill -- Marc Blitzstein -- Harold Rome -- PART 2 -- New Composers of the 1940s, 1950s and 1960s -- INTRODUCTION -- Hugh Martin -- Leonard Bernstein -- Frederick Loewe -- Jule Styne -- Frank Loesser -- Richard Adler -- Jerry Bock -- Bob Merrill -- Meredith Willson -- Stephen Sondheim -- Charles Strouse -- Harvey Schmidt -- Cy Coleman -- Jerry Herman -- John Kander -- Mitch Leigh -- PART 3 -- New Composers of the 1970s and Beyond -- INTRODUCTION -- Stephen Schwartz -- Larry Grossman -- Marvin Hamlisch -- Alan Menken -- William Finn -- Maury Yeston -- Stephen Flaherty -- Michael John LaChiusa -- Jason Robert Brown -- Adam Guettel -- PART 4 -- INTRODUCTION -- Notable Shows by Other Composers -- APPENDIX 1 -- Chronological Listing of Productions -- APPENDIX 2 -- Bibliography -- SONG TITLE INDEX -- SHOW INDEX -- PEOPLE INDEX.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Show Tunes fully chronicles the shows, songs, and careers of the major composers of the American musical theatre, from Jerome Kern's earliest interpolations to the latest hits on Broadway. Legendary composers like Gershwin, Rodgers, Porter, Berlin, Bernstein, and Sondheim have been joined by more recent songwriters like Stephen Schwartz, Stephen Flaherty, Michael John LaChiusa, and Adam Guettel. This majestic reference book covers their work, their innovations, their successes, and their failures. Show Tunes is simply the most comprehensive volume of its kind ever produced, and this newly revised and updated edition discusses almost 1,000 shows and 9,000 show tunes. The book has been called "a concise skeleton key to the Broadway musical" (Variety) and "a ground-breaking reference work with a difference" (Show Music)-or, as the Washington Post observed, "It makes you sing and dance all over your memory." The eagerly anticipated Fourth Edition, updated through May, 2009, features the entire theatrical output of forty of Broadway's leading composers, in addition to a wide selection of work by other songwriters. The listings include essential production data and statistics, the most extensive information available on published and recorded songs, and lively commentary on the shows, songs, and diverse careers. Based on meticulous research, the book also uncovers dozens of lost musicals-including shows that either closed out of town or were never headed for Broadway-and catalogs hundreds of previously unknown songs, including a number of musical gems that have been misplaced, cut, or forgotten. Informative, insightful, and provocative, Show Tunes is an essential guide for anyone interested in the American musical.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
Browse related items
Start at call number: