Gramsci and educational thought
- edited by Peter Mayo.
- Chichester, West Sussex, U.K. ; Malden, MA : Wiley-Blackwell, 2010.
- Physical description
- x, 154 p. ; 25 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
LB775 .G742 G75 2010
- Unknown LB775 .G742 G75 2010
- Mayo, Peter, 1955-
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Notes on Contributors. Foreword (Michael A. Peters, University of Illinois). Introduction: Antonio Gramsci and Educational Thought (Peter Mayo, University of Malta). 1. A Brief Commentary on the Hegelian-Marxist Origins of Gramsci's 'Philosophy of Praxis' (Debbie J Hill, University of Waikato). 2. Antonio Gramsci and his Relevance for the Education of Adults (Peter Mayo, University of Malta). 3. The Revolutionary Party in Gramsci's Pre-Prison Educational and Political Theory and Practice (John D. Holst, University of St. Thomas). 4. Introducing Giovanni Gentile, the 'Philosopher of Fascism' (Thomas Clayton, University of Kentucky). 5. Global English, Hegemony and Education: Lessons from Gramsci (Peter Ives, University of Winnipeg). 6. Antonio Gramsci and Feminism: The elusive nature of power (Margaret Ledwith, Cumbria University). 7. Towards a Political Theory of Social Work and Education (Translated by Florian Sichling with editing by Peter Mayo, Uwe Hirschfeld, Protestant University of Applied Science in Social Work, Dresden). 8. Gramscian Thought and Brazilian Education (Rosemary Dore, Federal University of Minais Gerais). Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Through a series of writings from international scholars, Gramsci and Educational Thought pays tribute to the educational influence of Antonio Gramsci, considered one of the greatest social thinkers and political theorists of the 20th century. Represents sound social theory and a broad application and reinvention of Gramsci's ideas Covers important areas such as language and education, community education, and social work education Features perspectives from different geographical contexts.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Educational philosophy and theory special issue book series
- "First published as Volume 41, Issue 6 of Educational Philosophy and Theory except for Antonio Gramsci and his Relevance to the Education of Adults which was published in Volume 40, Issue 3"--T.p. verso.
- Related Work
- Educational philosophy and theory.
- 9781444333947 (pbk.)
- 1444333941 (pbk.)