More than science and Sputnik : the National Defense Education Act of 1958
- Wayne J. Urban.
- Tuscaloosa : University of Alabama Press, c2010.
- Physical description
- xiv, 247 p. : ill. ; 25 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|KF4137 .U73 2010||Unknown|
- Urban, Wayne J.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Lister Hill, federal aid to education, and Alabama politics
- Carl Elliott, liberal politics, and the gospel of education
- Dwight D. Eisenhower, Elliot Richardson, and the National Defense Education Act
- Educators and NDEA : a mixed response, a missed opportunity, and an expanded agency
- Scientists and NDEA : maintaining the momentum
- NDEA, 1958 to 1965
- NDEA in perspective.
- Publisher's Summary
- An examination of the US National Defense Education Act of 1958, a piece of legislation that was designed to overcome a perceived failure in the US to produce enough qualified scientists, engineers and mathematicians to compete with the Soviet Union. Examines the assumptions of the key players and why they believed the act was needed.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780817316914 20160604
- Publication date
- 9780817316914 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 0817316914 (cloth : alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: