Teaching tech-savvy kids : bringing digital media into the classroom, grades 5-12
- Jessica K. Parker ; foreword by Glynda Hull.
- Thousand Oaks, Calif. : Corwin, c2010.
- Physical description
- xxiii, 191 p. : ill., map ; 26 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LB1027 .P27 2010||Unknown|
- Parker, Jessica K.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Foreword by Glynda Hull Preface Acknowledgments About the Author About the Contributors 1. Understanding Youth and New Media - Jessica K. Parker 2. Hanging Out With Friends: MySpace, Facebook, and Other Networked Publics - danah boyd and Jessica K. Parker 3. YouTube: Creating, Connecting, and Learning Through Video - Patricia G. Lange and Jessica K. Parker 4. Wikipedia: The Online Encyclopedia Based on Collaborative Knowledge - Jessica K. Parker 5. Role-Playing: Writing and Performing Beyond the Classroom - Becky Herr-Stephenson and Jessica K. Parker 6. Virtual Worlds: Designing, Playing and Learning - Jessica K. Parker and Maryanne Berry 7. Remix Culture: Digital Music and Video Remix, Opportunities for Creative Production - Erin B. Reilly 8. Conclusion - Jessica K. Parker Glossary Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9781412971508 20160604
- Publisher's Summary
- Written for secondary school teachers, this resource expands educators' understanding of the relationship between their students and digital media and shows how to design learning opportunities that make the most of that relationship. Based on the findings of a three-year study on youth and their use of digital media for informal learning, this book gives teachers a deeper awareness of the characteristics of 'iGeneration culture' and the dynamic potential for student learning through digital media, such as fostering collaboration, creativity, feedback, and critiques. Presented in a teacher-friendly format, each of the chapters include: a description of each digital medium; a vignette about a young person using the medium; advice about navigating digital media for both novice and expert teachers, plus activities and sidebars; a section addressing myths related to each medium; and, a section on pedagogical implications and practices, including activities. "Teaching Tech Savvy Kids" provides examples of how to integrate digital media into secondary classrooms, explains how key characteristics of digital media can help to revitalize pedagogical practices, and increases teachers' options for offering more engaged, student-centered learning opportunities.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781412971508 20160604
- Publication date
- 9781412971508 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 1412971500 (pbk. : alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: