Song and circumstance : the work of David Byrne from Talking Heads to the present
- Sytze Steenstra.
- New York : Continuum, 2010.
- Physical description
- x, 301 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
- Steenstra, Sytze.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 285-296) and index.
- Discography: p. 278-279.
- Filmography: p. 279.
- "Bibliography of David Byrne writings": p. 280-284.
- INTRODUCTION-- Part One: STRIPPING DOWN ROCK SONGS-- Part Two: A WIDER MUSICAL COMMUNITY-- Part Three: MOVIES, TV AND THEATRE: THE RITUAL IN DAILY LIFE-- Part Four: ROCK STAR AND ETHNOGRAPHER-- Part Five: IN THE VISUAL ARENA-- Part Six: TROPICALISMO IN NEW YORK-- Part Seven: AN EMOTIONAL EPISTEMOLOGY-- Conclusion-- Appendices-- Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780826445599 20160604
- Publisher's Summary
- This is the first book to offer a full account of Byrne's sprawling artistic portfolio. The account of Byrne's career, while told in roughly chronological order, is ordered by choosing a specific abstract approach, or a combination of two approaches, for each chapter, discussing the parallels and contradictions between such approaches to benefit the interpretation of Byrne's art. This is the first book to offer a full account of Byrne's sprawling artistic portfolio. David Byrne's work functions almost completely through the mass media - in popular music, experimental theatre, film, television, fine art and writing. The underlying connection is a conceptual approach to both high and popular art. Byrne has always accompanied his work with a stream of conceptual reflections, by developing a loose theoretical patchwork of ideas on music, ritual, culture and myth, reading widely in anthropology, socio-biology, neurology, ethnomusicology, art theory, media theory, comparative mythology and more. Based on the fame he gained with his band Talking Heads (1977-circa 1989), Byrne is able to enter into collaborations with many artists, some of popular fame - Brian Eno, Jonathan Demme - many known best in more specialized artistic circles - Joseph Kosuth (conceptual artist), Caetano Veloso (Brazilian singer/songwriter of Tropicalismo fame). The map of collaborations, including the casual and incidental ones, reveals an ongoing effort to combine avant-gardism with popular appeal. While Byrne developed his career in a pragmatic way, grasping opportunities for collaboration when they presented themselves, this theoretical patchwork is a constant factor. The account of Byrne's career, while told in roughly chronological order, is ordered by choosing a specific abstract approach, or a combination of two approaches, for each chapter, discussing the parallels and contradictions between such approaches to benefit the interpretation of Byrne's art. As a result, the fertile conceptual brew that characterizes Byrne's way of making art is present from the beginning, while each chapter adds to a thorough insight.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780826445599 20160604
- Publication date
- 9780826445599 (hardcover : alk. paper)
- 0826445594 (hardcover : alk. paper)
- 9780826441683 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 0826441688 (pbk. : alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: