Cultural heritage management : a global perspective
- edited by Phyllis Mauch Messenger and George S. Smith ; series foreword by Paul A. Shackel.
- Gainesville : University Press of Florida, c2010.
- Physical description
- xvi, 319 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
- Cultural heritage studies.
Law Library (Crown)
CC135 .C845 2010
- Unknown CC135 .C845 2010
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- The challenge of protecting archaeological heritage in Argentina / María Luz Endere
- Vestiges of colonialism : manifestations of the culture/nature divide in Australian heritage management / Heather Burke, Claire Smith
- Twenty years of heritage resource management in Brazil : a brief evaluation (1986-2006) / Paulo DeBlasis
- Archaeological heritage resource protection in Canada : the legislative basis / David Pokotylo and Andrew R. Mason
- Cultural heritage management in China : current practices and problems / Chen Shen, Hong Chen
- Archaeological heritage resource management in India / S.B. Ota
- Archaeological heritage management in Japan / Katsuyuki Okamura, Akira Matsuda
- Heritage resource management in Mexico / Nelly M. Robles García, Jack Corbett
- Heritage resource management in Peru / Jorge E. Silva
- Management of archaeological resources in Poland at the beginning of the twenty-first century / Zbigniew Kobyliński
- Cultural heritage management in Russia / Nick Petrov
- Heritage resource management in South Africa / Janette Deacon
- Archaeological resource management in Thailand / Thanik Lertcharnrit
- Heritage resource management in the United States / Hester A. Davis
- Descendant communities, heritage resource law, and heritage areas : strategies for managing and interpreting Native American traditional and cultural places / David W. Morgan
- Laws, language, and learning : managing archaeological heritage resources in Europe / Willem J.H. Willems
- Cultural heritage in the global policy arena : issues, institutions, and resources in the policy mix / William H. Jansen II
- Cultural heritage and the development process : policies and performance standards of the World Bank Group / Arlene K. Fleming and Ian L. Campbell
- International laws, treaties, and organizations / Patrick J. O'Keefe
- Archaeological looting and economic justice / Neil Brodie
- Funding strategies for World Heritage sites in least developed countries / Brijesh Thapa.
- Publisher's Summary
- "Scholars seeking a survey of the current status of national cultural heritage and cultural property legislation and regulations need look no further. Cultural Heritage Management brings together a worldwide selection of experts to explore both how--and how successfully--different nations deal with the past."--Alex W. Barker, University of Missouri, Columbia. "Represents a valuable contribution to the field of heritage studies. Taking a global perspective, it raises issues of significant concern to heritage practitioners and scholars alike."--John Carman, University of Birmingham, UK. Even as places and objects that have particular cultural significance are increasingly valued in our global world, powerful forces threaten them with destruction. Cultural Heritage Management discusses the efforts of a broad range of contributors devoted to safeguarding our cultural heritage. Editors Phyllis Mauch Messenger and George Smith have brought together an international group of contributors, featuring archaeologists, anthropologists, development specialists, and others engaged in the study, management, protection, and interpretation of places and objects that represent histories, traditions, and cultural identities. From international law to artifact preservation to site interpretation, there is a wide variety of approaches to the management of our cultural heritage. Combining the voices of scholars and practitioners, the book provides a much-needed diversity of voices and perspectives from people steeped in the issues that directly affect the future of the past. Phyllis Mauch Messenger, editor of The Ethics of Collecting Cultural Property, serves as grants consultant for the Institute for Advanced Study at the University of Minnesota and was the founding director of the Center for Anthropology and Cultural Heritage Education at Hamline University. George S. Smith recently retired as associate director of the Southeast Archaeological Center. Together, with Hilary A. Soderland, they serve as cochairs of the Heritage Values Interest Group of the Society for American Archaeology.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Cultural heritage studies
- 9780813034607 (alk. paper)
- 0813034604 (alk. paper)