Adolescents' online literacies : connecting classrooms, digital media, and popular culture
- edited by Donna E. Alvermann.
- New York : Peter Lang, c2010.
- Physical description
- vi, 223 p. : ill. ; 23 cm.
- New literacies and digital epistemologies v. 39.
Education Library (Cubberley)
LB1044.87 .A35 2010
- Unknown LB1044.87 .A35 2010
- Alvermann, Donna E.
- Includes bibliographical references and indexes.
- Contents: Donna E. Alvermann: Introduction - Lalitha Vasudevan/Tiffany DeJaynes/Stephanie Schmier: Multimodal Pedagogies: Playing, Teaching and Learning with Adolescents' Digital Literacies - Janie Cowan: Webkinz, Blogs, and Avatars: Lessons Learned from Young Adolescents - Guy Merchant: View My Profile(s) - David E. Kirkland: 4 Colored Girls Who Considered Suicide/When Social Networking Was Enuf: A Black Feminist Perspective on Literacy Online - Theresa Rogers/Kari-Lynn Winters: Textual Play, Satire, and Counter Discourses of Street Youth Zining Practices - Jairus Joaquin: Digital Literacies and Hip Hop Texts: The Potential for Pedagogy - Michael Dezuanni: Digital Media Literacy: Connecting Young People's Identities, Creative Production and Learning about Video Games - Amanda Gutierrez/Catherine Beavis: 'Experts on the Field': Redefining Literacy Boundaries - Kelly Chandler-Olcott/Elizabeth Lewis: I Think They're Being Wired Differently: Secondary Teachers' Cultural Models of Adolescents and Their Online Literacies - Andrew Burn/David Buckingham/Becky Parry/Mandy Powell: Minding the Gaps: Teachers' Cultures, Students' Cultures - Kevin M. Leander: Afterword.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Adolescents' Online Literacies: Connecting Classrooms, Digital Media, and Popular Culture is a compilation of new work that makes concrete connections between what the research literature portrays and what teachers, school librarians, and media specialists know to be the case in their own situations. The authors (educators and researchers who span three continents) focus on ways to incorporate and use the digital literacies that young people bring to school.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- New literacies and digital epistemologies, 1523-9543 ; v. 39
- 9781433105517 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 1433105519 (pbk. : alk. paper)