Culturally proficient education : an asset-based response to conditions of poverty
- Lindsey, Randall B.
- Thousand Oaks, Calif. : Corwin ; [Arlington, Va.] : American Association of School Administrators, c2010.
- Physical description
- xiii, 161 p. : ill. ; 26 cm.
LC4065 .L56 2010
- Unknown LC4065 .L56 2010
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 149-157) and index.
- Foreword by Dennis Parker Acknowledgments About the Authors Part I. Why Poverty and Cultural Proficiency? Introduction 1. Asset-Based Approaches to Students From Low Income or Impoverished Communities 2. The Middle Class School in Communities of Poverty 3. The Cultural Proficiency Tools Build on Assets Part II. Pro-social School Applications 4. Culturally Proficient Pedagogy 5. Culturally Proficient Leadership Support for Instruction 6. Policy Development to Ensure and Support Teaching and Learning Part III. A Call to Action 7. A Call to Action: The Time Is Now Appendix A: Cultural Proficiency Conceptual Framework Appendix B: State Teachers' Association Retreat Script Appendix C: Taniko's Poem Appendix D: How to Use Cultural Proficiency Books References Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Focused on providing readers with the knowledge and skills to maximize the educational opportunities for children raised in low socio-economic conditions, "Culturally Proficient Approaches to Conditions of Poverty" provides a context for helping teachers and school leaders understand school equity issues that are related to social class. The authors frame this timely subject within the lens of cultural proficiency - a perspective that emphasizes how one works with people different from one's self in a non-judgmental, pro-social manner to help ensure effective practices. This strengths-based approach contrasts with previous deficit models that have targeted what isn't working and what doesn't exist for the child, rather than building on children's strengths, regardless of their socio-economic status.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Randall B. Lindsey, Michelle S. Karns, Keith Myatt ; foreword by Dennis Parker.
- 9781412970860 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 1412970865 (pbk. : alk. paper)