Everything school leaders need to know about assessment
- Popham, W. James.
- Thousand Oaks, Calif. : Corwin, c2010.
- Physical description
- xx, 199 p. : ill. ; 23 cm.
LB2822.75 .P67 2010
- Unknown LB2822.75 .P67 2010
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Preface Acknowledgments About the Author 1. Why Do We Test? The Role of Assessment Coping with the Covert Decisions, Decisions, Decisions Unwarranted Perceptions of Precision Crucial Understandings Recommended Reading 2. Validity: Assessment's Cornerstone The Validity of Inferences Collecting Validity Evidence: Three Coins in the Fountain Crucial Understandings Recommended Reading 3. Test Reliability Three Kinds of Consistency Assessment Consistency for Individual Students Reliability and Validity: Strange Bedfellows? Crucial Understandings Recommended Reading 4. Assessment Bias What is Assessment Bias? Why is Assessment Bias So Reprehensible? Reducing Assessment Bias Crucial Understandings Recommended Reading 5. Instructional Sensitivity Different Quests for Different Tests Mistaken Evaluations of Schooling What is Instructional Sensitivity? Determining an Accountability Test's Instructional Sensitivity What's a School Leader to Do? Crucial Understandings Recommended Reading 6. Test Construction Purpose as the Measurement Motivator A Three-Component Game Plan Item Development Item Improvement Test Assembly Crucial Understandings Recommended Reading 7. Rubrics: Potentially Potent Evaluative Tools What Makes Up a Rubric? Determining a Rubric's Quality Crucial Understandings Recommended Reading 8. Formative Assessment: Underused Magic Bullet What is Formative Assessment What Evidence Supports Formative Assessment? How Does Formative Assessment Function? Once Over, Very Lightly Crucial Understandings Recommended Reading 9. Assessing Students' Affect Why Mess Around with Affect? How to Assess Students' Affect Building an Affective Inventory Crucial Understandings Recommended Reading 10. "Top 20" Crucial Understandings About Educational Assessment Understanding the Understandings Spreading the Word The Top-20 List Recommended Reading Recommended Reading Roundup Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- W. James Popham, one of the most well-known and respected experts in educational assessment, discusses the key principles new and seasoned school leaders need to know about educational assessment to do their work effectively. Readers will come away with crucial understandings that allow them to lead assessment of learning, meet accountability requirements, and communicate knowledgeably about accountability and test results with students, parents, the media, and the public. Using plain language, a witty and engaging writing style, and practical examples, Popham covers: validity, reliability, and assessment bias; the importance of formative assessment; assessing students with disabilities and English language learners; interpreting results of large-scale assessments; and, instructional sensitivity of accountability tests. "Everything School Leaders Need to Know About Assessment" is a concise, authoritative guide to a topic that all educational leaders must understand in these critical times.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- W. James Popham.
- 9781412979795 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 141297979X (pbk. : alk. paper)