Promoting academic achievement among English learners : a guide to the research
- Claude Goldenberg, Rhoda Coleman.
- Thousand Oaks, Calif. : Corwin, c2010.
- Physical description
- x, 181 p. : ill. ; 26 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LB1062.6 .G63 2010||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- List of Tables and Figures Acknowledgments About the Authors 1. Why This Book? 2. The Role of the Home Language 3. Literacy Instruction in a Second Language 4. Promoting English Oral Language Development 5. Academic Instruction in a Second Language 6. School and District Role: Focus and Coherence 7. Social, Cultural, and Family Influences 8. The Research Goes to School 9. Conclusion: What's Next? Glossary Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9781412955492 20160604
- Publisher's Summary
- The growing numbers of English language learners (ELLs) in our schools pose increasing challenges and opportunities for U.S. educators and policy makers. A generation or two ago, the achievement of children who came to school knowing little or no English was not a prominent national issue. Today it is. This comprehensive resource explores the research on promoting academic success among ELLs. It provides educators with a firm basis for making decisions related to adopting or developing effective policies and programmes for ELLs. "Promoting Academic Achievement Among English Learners" provides illustrative scenarios throughout to accompany research-based discussions about: what we know about using ELLs' home language in their academic programme and findings about bilingual education; ELLs learning to speak English and simultaneously learning academic content, a vital aspect of their educational agenda; school- and district-level factors that affect ELLs' achievement; sociocultural factors, including the influence of parents and families; and, a broad framework for improving the academic achievement of students who come to school not speaking English well or not speaking English at all.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781412955492 20160604
- Publication date
- 9781412955492 (pbk.)
- 1412955491 (pbk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: