Susannah Hays : artwork and documents, 1992-2014
- Physical description
- 41.33 linear feet (61 framed items, boxed; 3 framed items in map case, 2 record storage boxes, 1 flat box).
Finding aidOnline Archive of California
All items must be viewed on site
Request items at least 2 days before you visit to allow retrieval from off-site storage. You can request at most 5 items per day.
|M1743 ACCN 2012-068 BOX 1||In-library use|
|M1743 ACCN 2012-068 BOX 2||In-library use|
|M1743 ACCN 2016-021 FLAT BOX 1||In-library use|
|M1743 ACCN 2016-021 FLAT BOX 2||In-library use|
|M1743 ACCN 2016-021 FLAT BOX 3||In-library use|
|M1743 ACCN 2016-021 FLAT BOX 4||In-library use|
|M1743 ACCN 2016-044 FLAT BOX 1||In-library use|
|M1743 ACCN 2016-044 FLAT BOX 2||In-library use|
|M1743 ACCN 2016-148 FLAT BOX 1||In-library use|
|M1743 BOX 52||In-library use|
|M1743 CARTON 1||In-library use|
|M1743 CARTON 2||In-library use|
|M1743 FLAT BOX 3||In-library use|
|M1743 FLAT BOX 4||In-library use|
|M1743 FLAT BOX 5||In-library use|
|M1743 FLAT BOX 6||In-library use|
|M1743 FLAT BOX 7||In-library use|
|M1743 FLAT BOX 8||In-library use|
|M1743 FLAT BOX 9||In-library use|
|M1743 FLAT BOX 10||In-library use|
|M1743 FLAT BOX 11||In-library use|
|M1743 FLAT BOX 12||In-library use|
|M1743 FLAT BOX 13||In-library use|
|M1743 FLAT BOX 14||In-library use|
|M1743 FLAT BOX 15||In-library use|
|M1743 FLAT BOX 16||In-library use|
|M1743 FLAT BOX 17||In-library use|
|M1743 FLAT BOX 18||In-library use|
|M1743 FLAT BOX 19||In-library use|
|M1743 FLAT BOX 20||In-library use|
|M1743 FLAT BOX 21||In-library use|
|M1743 FLAT BOX 22||In-library use|
|M1743 FLAT BOX 23||In-library use|
|M1743 FLAT BOX 24||In-library use|
|M1743 FLAT BOX 25||In-library use|
|M1743 FLAT BOX 26||In-library use|
|M1743 FLAT BOX 27||In-library use|
|M1743 FLAT BOX 28||In-library use|
|M1743 FLAT BOX 29||In-library use|
|M1743 FLAT BOX 30||In-library use|
|M1743 FLAT BOX 31||In-library use|
|M1743 FLAT BOX 32||In-library use|
|M1743 FLAT BOX 33||In-library use|
|M1743 FLAT BOX 34||In-library use|
|M1743 FLAT BOX 35||In-library use|
|M1743 FLAT BOX 36||In-library use|
|M1743 FLAT BOX 37||In-library use|
|M1743 FLAT BOX 38||In-library use|
|M1743 FLAT BOX 39||In-library use|
|M1743 FLAT BOX 40||In-library use|
|M1743 FLAT BOX 41||In-library use|
|M1743 FLAT BOX 42||In-library use|
|M1743 FLAT BOX 43||In-library use|
|M1743 FLAT BOX 44||In-library use|
|M1743 FLAT BOX 45||In-library use|
|M1743 FLAT BOX 46||In-library use|
|M1743 FLAT BOX 47||In-library use|
|M1743 FLAT BOX 48||In-library use|
|M1743 FLAT BOX 49||In-library use|
|M1743 FLAT BOX 50||In-library use|
|M1743 FLAT BOX 51||In-library use|
|M1743 FLAT BOX 53||In-library use|
|M1743 FLAT BOX 54||In-library use|
- Hays, Susannah, creator.
- Finding aid
- Finding aid available on line
- This collection of her work includes: 8 EGYPT gelatin silver prints -- 1 journal, related to EGYPT --7 SKELLETAL LEAVES prints (6 Vandyke prints, 1 Iris print) -- 1 ONE SUN, ONE APPLE, ONE DAY, framed -- 3 P.O.P. microscope images -- 11 EMPTY BOTTLE SERIES gelatin silver prints -- 1 SEED LEAF gelatin silver photogram -- 2 FALLEN SKY gelatin silver prints -- 6 P.O.P. prints -- 6 EVERYDAY CONSTELLATIONS gelatin silver prints -- 6 PINHOLE VIEWS OF THE SAN FRANCISCO ART INSTITUTE pinhole light drawings -- 3 BETWEEN CEDAR AND VINE gelatin silver prints -- 2 digital images.
- The 2012 accession (2 manuscript boxes), includes material from Hays' project, "Science imagined, " and exhibition of artists' books held in October, 1996 at the Berkeley Art Center. It also includes 2 audiocassettes of Helen and Newton Harrison: "Meditations on the Sacramento River, the Delta and Bays of San Francisco, " 1977, and "Ecological artists: the ecological argument on process, a case for ecosystems as a viable art form, " undated (box 2, folder 12).
- The 2014 accessions include four archival pigment prints: "Bloodline" taken in Copper Flat, Nevada, 2014; "Nature's writing desk" taken in Osterheide Wald, Germany, 2013; "The Penitente Morada" taken in Abiquiu, New Mexico, 2014; and "Cathedral Forest" taken in Einemhof Forest, Germany, 2013.
- The 2016 accessions include prints from the "Mirror Landscape" series, "Invisible Cosmos" series as well as prints of: urns from the Aquileia Archaeological Museum; Santa Rosa de Lima in Rio Chama Abiquiu, New Mexico; leaves and plants; San Francisco Art Institute; and vessels; trees; and other materials from nature.
- Earliest date
- Latest date
- Addenda: (accession 2011-143): ONE SUN, ONE APPLE, ONE DAY, 2 sheets, (14 x 140 inches each); "Oak leaf" cyanotype, 1998, framed; Vietnamese girl, gelatin silver print matted, 1986; and 2 "Skeletal leaves, " 1998, unframed silver-sun prints.
- Addenda: (accession 2012-068 - 2 manuscript boxes): Files on "Science Imagined" files, including planning material, correspondence, artists' biographical material, slides (circa 330), video of the artists' reception, five DVD's, and two audiocassettes of Helen and Newton Harrison. Captured data from four DVDs is accession 2012-070 and is closed until processed.
- Addenda: (accessions 2014-061, 2014-062, 2014-063, 2014-064): 4 archival pigment prints described in collection summary.
- Open for research; material must be requested at least 36 hours in advance of intended use. Some accessions are closed until processed.
- Purchased, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014, and 2015; gift of Susannah Hays, 2012. Accessions 2010-057, 2011-143, 2012-068, 2012-070, 2014-061, 2014-062, 2014-063, 2014-064, 2016-021, 2016-044, 2016-148, 2016-187, and 2016-236.
- Susannah Hays (born, September 12, 1959) is an American artist and educator practicing in the fields of philosophy, contemporary photography and book arts. While she is especially known for her work with cameraless and 19th Century processes, her creative work expands to realms of experimentation in all visual media. She teaches courses that focus on aesthetics in art practice, the embodied mind, constructions of space, topologies, artist’s books and visual autobiography.
- Related Work
- Ecological artists: the ecological argument on process, a case for ecosystems as a viable art form.
- Meditations on the Sacramento River, the Delta and Bays of San Francisco.
- Science imagined.
Browse related items
Start at call number: