Young children and the environment : early education for sustainability
- edited by Julie M. Davis.
- Cambridge [England] ; New York : Cambridge University Press, 2010.
- Physical description
- xii, 305 p. : ill. ; 25 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|GE90 .A8 Y68 2010||Unknown|
- Davis, Julie M.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Foreword-- List of contributors-- Introduction Julie Davis-- Part I: 1. What is early childhood education for sustainability? Julie Davis-- 2. Children in the natural world Sue Elliott-- 3. Leadership for creating cultures of sustainability Megan Gibson-- 4. Changing curriculum and pedagogy: daily practices and resources Robert Pratt-- 5. Sustainability: ethics principles and policy Lesley Robinson and Sue Vaealiki-- Part II: 6. Indigenous reconciliation and environmental sustainability Melinda Miller-- 7. ICTs: new tools for sustainability education Margaret Lloyd-- 8. Healthy, sustainable design for children and communities Sue Cooke-- 9. Changing systems: research, challenges, opportunities and synergies Jo-Anne Ferreira and Julie Davis-- Postscript-- Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780521736121 20160604
- Publisher's Summary
- Young Children and the Environment tackles one of the biggest contemporary issues of our times - the changing environment - and demonstrates how early education can contribute to sustainable living. An essential text for students in early childhood education and a practical resource for child care practitioners and primary school teachers, it is designed to promote education for sustainability from birth to 8 years. The text refers to national and international initiatives such as 'Sustainable Schools', 'Child Friendly Cities', and 'Health Promoting Schools' and explores their existing and potential links with early childhood education. Groundbreaking content draws on recent literature in the areas of organisational, educational and cultural change and environmental sustainability. Early childhood case studies and vignettes exemplify leadership in practice, and 'Provocations' are integrated throughout to inspire new ways of thinking about the environment, the wider world, young children and the transformative power of early education.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780521736121 20160604
- Publication date
- 9780521736121 (pbk.)
- 0521736129 (pbk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: