Understanding difficulties in literacy development : issues and concepts
- edited by Janet Soler, Felicity Fletcher-Campbell and Gavin Reid.
- Los Angeles : Sage ; Milton Keynes, U.K. : Open University, 2009.
- Physical description
- viii, 268 p. : ill. ; 25 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LB1050.5 .U53 2009||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- PART ONE: WHAT IS LITERACY? WHAT ARE 'DIFFICULTIES IN LITERACY'? Literacy: In search of a paradigm - Naz Rassool Globalisation, literacy and society: Redesigning pedagogy and assessment - David Johnson and Gunther Kress The historical construction of dylsexia: Implications for Higher Education - Janet Soler PART TWO: ISSUES AND CONCEPTS IN PUBLIC READING DEBATES Literacy as a complex activity: Deconstructing the simple view of reading - Morag Stuart, Rhona Stainthorp, Maggie Snowling The irrelevancy - and danger - of the 'simple view' of reading to meaningful standards - Victoria Purcell-Gates Ehri's model of phases of learning to read: A brief critique - John R Beech Siblings bridging literacies in multilingual contexts - Ann Williams and Eve Gregory Boys' underachievement: Issues, challenges and possible ways forward - Joe Burns and Paul Bracey Re-counting 'Illiteracy': Literacy skills in the sociology of social inequality - Geoff Payne PART THREE: LITERACY CURRICULUM POLICY CONTEXTS Research and the National Literacy Strategy - Roger Beard Literacy policy and policy literacy: A tale of phonics in early reading in England - Kathy Hall 'To be or not to be?': The politics of teaching phonics in England and New Zealand - Janet Soler and Roger Openshaw Powerful literacies: The policy context - Mary Hamilton, Catherine Macrae and Lyn Tett PART FOUR: COMMUNITY, FAMILY, SOCIETY AND INDIVIDUAL IDENTITY The self-concept and its relationship to educational achievement - Robert Burden The self-concept and dyslexia - David Pollak PART FIVE: SOCIAL JUSTICE, EQUITY ISSUES AND LEARNING DISABILITIES Special education's changing identity: Paradoxes and dilemmas in views of culture and space - Alfredo J Artiles The cultural work of learning disabilities - Ray McDermott, Shelley Goldman and Herve Varenne.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9781848607736 20160604
- Publisher's Summary
- Based on current research, debates and concerns, this Reader adopts a cross disciplinary approach to understanding and working with those who experience difficulties with literacy. It provides a broad view of difficulties in literacy and related educational and curriculum learning issues across a range of ages, phases and settings. The Reader first considers questions of literacy, before going on to look at literacy development in relation to: issues and concepts in public reading debates; literacy curriculum policy contexts; community, family, society and individual identity; and, social justice and equity issues and learning disabilities. This Reader is relevant to all postgraduate students of Literacy, as well as educators, professionals and policy makers.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781848607736 20160604
- Publication date
- 9781848607729 (hbk.)
- 1848607725 (hbk.)
- 9781848607736 (pbk.)
- 1848607733 (pbk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: