World at risk : a global issues sourcebook
- 2nd ed.
- Washington, D.C. : CQ Press, c2010.
- Physical description
- xvii, 822 p. : ill., maps ; 26 cm.
- CQ Press.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Demographics and settlement
- Education, health, and welfare
- Politics and goverance
- Publisher's Summary
- This acclaimed sourcebook provides in-depth analysis of current global hot topics. Arranged topically, the 32 essays address a wide range of key issues, including demographics, economics, education, health, politics, and security. New entries discuss drug trafficking, human trafficking, international finance, immigration, and transnational governance. The chapter structure allows readers to compare the different topics by presenting the following information: Introduction - Introduces and describes the importance to the issue to the world community; Historical Development - Situates the issue historically within the international community; and, Current Status - Reviews the latest studies and scholarly research on the issue and presents a brief synopsis of the policies and programs that have been developed in response to the issue. It also includes: Regional Summaries and Statistics - Assesses the impact the issue has had on various regions around the world; Global Map - Supplements the regional summaries by providing a snapshot of the issue's impact across countries; Data - Provides a tabular overview of the topic under discussion; Case Study - Brings the issue into focus in one or two local close-ups that show how it has affected a specific community, country, or region; Biographical Sketches - Presents biographies of historical and contemporary individuals who have helped shape the thinking and action concerning the issue; Directory - Details the relevant government agencies, lobbying groups, and organizations; Further Research - Directs readers to books, reports, magazines, newspaper articles, and Web sites where they can learn more about the subject; and, Documents - Excerpts important documents crucial to understanding the issue and the international response. "World At Risk" is an outstanding resource for patrons of academic, public, and high school libraries and anyone interested in global trends and issues.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780872899193 20160604
- Publication date
- 9780872899193 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 0872899195 (cloth : alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: