Transmitting the ideal of enlightenment : Chinese universities since the late nineteenth century
- edited by Ricardo K.S. Mak.
- Lanham, Md. : University Press of America, c2009.
- Physical description
- vi, 155 p. ; 24 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LA1133 .T73 2009||Unknown|
- Mai, Jingsheng.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Chapter 1 Preface Chapter 2 Chapter 1: Introduction Chapter 3 Chapter 2: The Chinese Idea of University, 1866-1895 Chapter 4 Chapter 3: The German Intellectual Tradition, Cai Yuanpei and the Founding of Peking University Chapter 5 Chapter 4: The Formation of Qinghua Alumni's Networks in National Southeast University, 1918-1928 Chapter 6 Chapter 5: Revolution and Enlightenment: The Rise of Biomedical Education in China, 1910-1950 Chapter 7 Chapter 6: Higher Education and Research Culture in Hong Kong: With Special Reference to Medical Education, Research and Professionalism, 1880s-1980s Chapter 8 Chapter 7: Whose Rationality? Whose Enlightenment? - Missionary Scholars, Modern Universities and the Dialectical Moments in the Emergence of Philosophy and Religious Studies in Twentieth Century China Chapter 9 Chapter 8: A Historical Review and Reflection on the Confucian 'Great Learning' and its Contemporary Implications for Higher Education.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Transmitting the Ideal of Enlightenment is a collection of articles that shed light on different aspects of university education in China since the late nineteenth century and address how far the ideal of modern university education, which has gradually been developed in the West since the age of European Enlightenment, was adopted or creatively transformed by Chinese universities. In addition to examining the influence of Western universities' visions, curricula, institutions and experiences on Chinese higher education, this volume attempts to show the degree of success achieved by Chinese universities in delivering the goals of personal emancipation, broad-based education, freedom of teaching and learning, academic professionalism, etc. that their Western counterparts had endeavored to attain in the last centuries.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- 9780761847267 (clothbound : alk. paper)
- 076184726X (clothbound : alk. paper)
- 9780761847274 (paperback : alk. paper)
- 0761847278 (paperback : alk. paper)
- 9780761847281 (eISBN)
- 0761847286 (eISBN)
Browse related items
Start at call number: