Introducing science communication : a practical guide
- edited by Mark L. Brake and Emma Weitkamp.
- Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire ; New York : Palgrave Macmillan, 2010.
- Physical description
- viii, 177 p. : ill. ; 25 cm.
Chemistry & ChemEng Library (Swain)
|Q225 .I58 2010||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Introduction-- M.Brake & E.Weitkamp The History and Development of Science and its Communication-- M.Brake Science in Popular Culture-- N.Hook & M.Brake Writing Science-- E. Weitkamp Broadcasting Science-- T.Murcott Presenting Science-- K.Bultitude Communicating Science in Museums and Science Centres-- A.Boyle Science and the Citizen-- C.Wilkinson Conclusion.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780230573864 20160604
- Publisher's Summary
- From discussions of climate change to the latest arguments around stem cell research, science has never been more topical and relevant to our everyday lives. Yet its intricacies are often hard for the general public to grasp. The key challenge for scientists and science communicators is to explain these scientific ideas and engage different groups with current debates. This long-overdue book explores how to successfully communicate complex and sometimes controversial scientific issues. Investigating the practices behind a range of traditional media and more interactive approaches, the book looks at how professional communicators interact with and present science communication in all its guises. It explores the historical background of science communication and examines how science continues to be referred to and used throughout popular culture, the media, and museums. Practical chapters explain key methods and give tips on overcoming communication issues and problems, whilst introducing the reader to a theoretical understanding of science communication. Written and edited by pioneering and experienced professionals in the field, this is an essential text for students and practitioners learning how to effectively communicate science.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780230573864 20160604
- Publication date
- 9780230573857 (hardcover)
- 0230573851 (hardcover)
- 9780230573864 (pbk.)
- 023057386X (pbk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: