The lost boys of Zeta Psi : a historical archaeology of masculinity at a university fraternity
- Laurie A. Wilkie.
- Berkeley [Calif.] : University of California Press, c2010.
- Physical description
- xvi, 343 p. : ill., maps ; 24 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LJ75 .Z735 W55 2010||Unknown|
- Wilkie, Laurie A.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 315-336) and index.
- Contents List of Figures List of Tables Acknowledgments Prologue: Peering into the Rooms of a Fraternity's Far Past Stage Directions: Setting the Scene Program for Act I Act I: The Nursery: Brotherhood in the First House of Zeta Psi Program for Act II Act II: The Never Land: The Fraternity and the University to 1910 Program for Act III Act III: The Mermaids' Lagoon: Coeds and Pirates Threaten Peter's Tribe Program for Act IV Act IV: The House Underground: Zeta Psi's New House Program for Act V Act V: The Pirate Ship: The Public Face of Iota Epilogue: When the Zetes Grew Up Appendix: Membership of Zeta Psi Iota as Compiled from Alumni Registers, Wall Panels, and Yearbooks Notes Bibliography.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780520260603 20160604
- Publisher's Summary
- "The Lost Boys of Zeta Psi" takes us inside the secret, amusing, and sometimes mundane world of a California fraternity around 1900. Gleaning history from recent archaeological excavations and from such intriguing sources as oral histories, architecture, and photographs, Laurie A. Wilkie uncovers details of everyday life in the first fraternity at the University of California, Berkeley, and sets this story into the rich social and historical context of West Coast America at the turn of the last century. In particular, Wilkie examines men's coming-of-age experiences in a period when gender roles and relations were undergoing dramatic changes. Her innovative study illuminates shifting notions of masculinity and at the same time reveals new insights about the inner workings of fraternal orders and their role in American society.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780520260603 20160604
- Zeta Psi Fraternity > History.
- University of California, Berkeley > History.
- Greek letter societies > California > Berkeley > History.
- Male college students > California > Berkeley > Conduct of life.
- Male college students > California > Berkeley > Psychology.
- Male college students > Sexual behavior > California > Berkeley.
- Masculinity > California > Berkeley > History.
- Gender identity > California > Berkeley > History.
- Publication date
- Title Variation
- Historical archaeology of masculinity at a university fraternity
- Masculinity at a university fraternity
- 9780520260597 (hbk. : alk. paper)
- 0520260597 (hbk. : alk. paper)
- 9780520260603 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 0520260600 (pbk. : alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: