Have women made a difference? : women in Irish universities, 1850-2010
- Judith Harford and Claire Rush (eds).
- Oxford ; New York : Peter Lang, c2010.
- Physical description
- xii, 226 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
- Rethinking education, 1662-9949 ; v. 3
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LC1571 .I73 H38 2010||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Contents: Mary O'Dowd: Foreword - Judith Harford/Claire Rush: Introduction - Judith Harford: Women and the Irish University Question - Claire Rush: Women Who Made a Difference: The Belfast Ladies' Institute, 1867-1897 - Susan M. Parkes: A Danger to the Men? Women in Trinity College Dublin in the First Decade, 1904-1914 - Jennifer FitzGerald: 'The Queen's Girl': Helen Waddell and Women at Queen's University Belfast, 1908-1920 - Phyllis Gaffney: 'Assistant Something-or-Other in the New University': Life and Letters of Mary Kate O'Kelly, 1878-1934 - Margaret Mac Curtain: The 1940s: Women Academics at University College Cork - Pat O'Connor: Gender and Organisational Culture at Senior Management Level: Limits and Possibilities for Change - Martin S. McNamara/Gerard M. Fealy: 'A Little Nurse Running around College': Legitimating Nursing in the Irish Academy - Martina McKnight/Myrtle Hill: 'Doing Academia' in Queen's University Belfast: Gendered Experiences, Perceptions and Strategies.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9783034301169 20160604
- Publisher's Summary
- Emanating from a conference celebrating one hundred years of women in university education in Ireland ('Women in Higher Education: Have Women Made a Difference?', 2007), this collection brings together papers from leading scholars in the fields of education, history, literature, nursing, social policy and women's studies. Tracing the evolution of women's role in university education from the nineteenth century to the present day, the book captures the complexity of women's position within the academy and poses the critical question: 'Have women made a difference?'.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9783034301169 20160604
- Publication date
- 9783034301169 (hbk.)
- 3034301162 (hbk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: